Myanmar activists yesterday held their first march through Yangon to mark the anniversary of a bloody crackdown on democracy rallies 25 years ago, in commemorations aimed at propelling reforms after the end of military junta rule.
Hundreds of people watched about 50 campaigners march through downtown Yangon to recall one of the bloodiest incidents in the modern history of Myanmar, which has seen striking political changes since the end of an outright military dictatorship two years ago.
“I think that we can now walk on the path to democracy because of the 1988 revolution. The transition is the consequence of that uprising,” said Tun Tun Oo, a 49-year-old businessman who was a student protester involved in the 1988 rallies.
Marchers, who did not have official permission to walk through the streets, refused to halt when the head of police asked them to stop. Police allowed them to continue, standing aside, but taking pictures of those involved.
“I don’t think we need to get permission ... We do not want to protest, we just want to express our respect. We are just walking,” Tun Tun Oo said.
A vicious military assault on student-led demonstrations against Myanmar’s military rulers on Aug. 8, 1988, in the then-capital Yangon sparked a huge popular uprising against the junta.
Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets in the country calling for democracy, in protests that came to a brutal end the following month with an army crackdown that killed more than 3,000.
Myanmar has undergone sweeping political changes since a quasi-civilian regime replaced junta rule in 2011. Reforms have included freeing hundreds of political prisoners — many who were jailed for their roles in the 1988 rallies — and welcoming democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi and her party into parliament.
The Nobel laureate, who was taking part in yesterday’s commemorations, rose to prominence during the protests.
She had been living in London, but returned to Yangon in 1988 to nurse her sick mother and was quick to take on a leading role in the pro-democracy movement, delivering speeches to the masses at the city’s Shwedagon Pagoda.
Earlier yesterday, activists laid wreaths at the Sule Pagoda in the center of Yangon, which was at the heart of the Aug. 8 crackdown.
Win Min, a former student protester, said the scene in the area 25 years ago was “the worst and most unforgettable of my life.”
“We want to show our sorrow for the dead today and to show them we are moving forward to the goal of democracy ... We promised them we would continue,” Win Min said.
‘SERIOUS QUESTIONS’: Three US senators sent a letter to the US commerce secretary asking whether the project ‘takes into consideration national security requirements’ US Senator Chuck Schumer and two other Democratic colleagues have written to top US administration officials asking for details of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd’s (TSMC) plan to build a US$12 billion fab in Arizona. Hsinchu-based TSMC on Thursday last week announced that it would build a plant to make 5 nanometer chips by 2024 that would have the capacity to produce 20,000 semiconductor wafers per month. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker already has one chipmaking fab in Camas, Washington, and design centers in Austin, Texas, and San Jose, California. It said it planned to start construction in Arizona next year and
VULNERABLE: Many women do not report sexual harassment by their landlord over fears they could lose the roof over their head, an expert said A growing number of landlords are asking tenants for sex in exchange for housing as COVID-19 lockdowns and job cuts have left many struggling to pay their rent, housing experts said. A survey by the National Fair Housing Alliance of more than 100 fair housing groups combating discrimination across the US found that 13 percent had seen an increase in sexual harassment complaints during the pandemic. “If I did not have sex with him, he was going to put me out,” one woman facing eviction by her property manager told the alliance in an podcast on its Web site. “As a single
MOM’S LONG CAMPAIGN: Mao Yin had been brought up in Mianyang, Sichuan Province, without any idea that he was the target of a decades-long, high-profile search A Chinese man who was stolen from his family as a toddler has been reunited with his parents after 32 years. Mao Yin (毛寅), then two-and-a-half years old, was snatched in 1988 when he was walking home from nursery with his father. His parents finally embraced him again on Monday in Xian, where he was born. After Mao vanished, his mother Li Jingzhi (李靜芝) quit her job and launched a decades-long search for her son, that included sending out more than 100,000 flyers and appearing on numerous TV shows. That long campaign helped 29 other families find their own missing children and made
HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES? An institute of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security and a company are to be sanctioned over ‘human rights violations and abuses’ The US Department of Commerce on Friday said that it would sanction a Chinese government institute and eight companies over alleged human rights abuses against Uighurs and other minorities in China’s western Xinjiang region. “These nine parties are complicit in human rights violations and abuses committed in China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs and other members of Muslim minority groups in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region,” the department said in a statement. The Chinese Ministry of Public Security’s Institute of Forensic Science and Aksu Huafu Textiles Co are to be sanctioned “for