Thu, Jun 13, 2013 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take

Agencies

AFGHANISTAN

Boys beheaded for spying

The authorities have accused Taliban militants of beheading two children for spying, but insurgency leaders denied the gruesome charges. The boys, aged 10 and 16, were beheaded on Sunday in the southern province of Kandahar after they collected left-over food from a police post, provincial police spokesman Ghorzang Afridi said. “The children used to go to a police checkpoint to collect food and other things thrown away by police, so the Taliban thought they were spies, and abducted them and beheaded them,” Afridi said. “They were poor children who lived on collecting scraps and leftovers,” he added, saying that villagers found the two boys’ bodies in a remote area of Zhari district and informed police. Kandahar provincial spokesman Javid Faisal confirmed the incident, but the Taliban denied any role in the children’s deaths. Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi dismissed the allegations as government propaganda.

SPAIN

Guard guilty of 11 murders

A security guard at a retirement home was on Tuesday found guilty of killing 11 elderly residents, three of whom he forced to drink bleach. Prosecutors are seeking a 194-year jail term after Joan Vila Dilme, dubbed the “Angel of Death,” was found guilty by a unanimous jury decision at a court hearing in the northeastern town of Girona. Sentencing was to take place later. The 45-year-old defendant, employed at the La Caritat home in Olot, was arrested in October 2010 after the death of an 85-year-old woman in a local hospital. He later confessed to her murder, saying he had made her drink bleach, along with the killings of two other elderly people, which he said were carried out in order to “end their suffering.” Eight other murders, committed between August 2009 and October 2010, later came to light, with the victims given overdoses of insulin or various fatal pharmaceutical cocktails.

FRANCE

Strauss-Kahn trial in doubt

Prosecutors on Tuesday recommended the dismissal of pimping charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, signaling a possible end to the former IMF managing director’s legal battle over sex scandals that destroyed his career. Strauss-Kahn was charged last year with helping to procure prostitutes for sex parties in one of a string of cases that came to light after he was forced to resign from his IMF job over an alleged sex attack on a New York hotel maid, but the prosecutor’s office in Lille, where some of the parties took place, announced on Tuesday that it considered the evidence against Strauss-Kahn and another man, Jean-Luc Vergin, as insufficient for them to be sent to trial. The prosecutor recommended that 12 other men be tried, but said the gravity of their alleged pimping should be downgraded by dropping a charge that they had operated as part of an organized gang. The judge has a month to decide whether to follow the prosecutor’s advice or insist on Strauss-Kahn standing trial. Strauss-Kahn admits attending sex parties, but insists he did not know some of the women were being paid.

CHINA

Explosion destroys building

An explosion caused by an apparent gas leak brought down a three-story building in Suzhou, killing at least 11 people, state media said yesterday. The explosion occurred on Tuesday morning in an employee cafeteria of a gas sales company, Xinhua news agency reported. Nine survivors were being treated in hospitals, the report said. It said a preliminary investigation showed the blast was caused by a gas leak.

This story has been viewed 874 times.
TOP top