Sun, Jun 09, 2013 - Page 6 News List

UN in record Syria aid appeal as conflict deepens

AFP, DAMASCUS

Syrian army soldiers drive a tank in the town of al-Qusayr, in Syria’s central Homs Province, on Friday as regime forces sought to mop up the final pockets of rebel resistance north of al-Qusayr, after retaking the key town that had been an insurgent bastion for a year, a watchdog said.

Photo: AFP

The UN has launched a record aid appeal for Syria, warning of a regional “explosion” if the fighting does not stop, as regime forces sought to capitalize on recent victories over the rebels.

The UN was also scrambling to find replacement troops for its peacekeeping mission on the Golan Heights after heavy fighting between Syrian forces and rebels on Thursday prompted Austria to announce it was pulling out.

The world body said Friday that a total of US$3.8 billion is needed to help Syrian refugees who have spilled across the country’s borders to escape fighting at home.

The figure for operations inside Syria was put at another US$1.4 billion.

“If the fighting doesn’t stop, we risk an explosion in the Middle East for which the international community is not prepared,” UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres told reporters. “It is not only a matter of generosity, but also of enlightened self-interest.”

More than 94,000 people have been killed and about 1.6 million Syrians fled the country since the civil war began in March 2011 after Syrian President Bashar al-Assad cracked down on protests against his regime, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The number of refugees is expected to reach at least 3.45 million by the end of this year, according to the UN appeal.

Within the country, 6.8 million people are forecast to need aid this year, the majority of them having been forced to flee their homes because of the fighting.

Government forces were trying on Friday to mop up final pockets of rebel resistance north of al-Qusayr, the central town near the border with Lebanon that they retook on Wednesday bolstered by fighters from Lebanon’s Shiite movement Hezbollah.

At the UN, Russia agreed to a UN Security Council statement demanding that its ally Syria allow humanitarian access to al-Qusayr.

The Observatory said the army was bombarding another rebel bastion to the north of al-Qusayr to which hundreds of wounded and civilians had fled.

Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said the army was “leaving no way out for rebels, civilians or the wounded” in its campaign to control the whole al-Qusayr region.

The Observatory also reported that al-Assad’s forces were sending reinforcements to Aleppo Province in northern Syria, where large swathes of territory have been in rebel hands for months.

The army’s preparations for a new offensive in the north came a day after a brief rebel seizure of the Quneitra crossing on the armistice line separating Israeli and Syrian troops on the Golan.

That violence prompted Austria to announce to it was withdrawing its 377 troops from the 1,000-strong UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF).

UNDOF peacekeepers from the Philippines and India were wounded by mortar shrapnel in fighting for the strategic crossing, UN diplomats said.

Manila said it too was considering pulling out its 341-strong contingent.

Israel voiced concern about security along its ceasefire line with Syria.

The Austrian troops make up more than a third of UNDOF, which has monitored a ceasefire between Israel and Syria since 1974.

Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed that Russian peacekeepers replace the departing Austrian troops ahead of a meeting of the UN Security Council on the UNDOF crisis on Friday.

However, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said this was not possible because Russia is one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.

This story has been viewed 1078 times.
TOP top