The US and Britain both announced on Friday that they were withdrawing some diplomatic staff from Libya, amid security concerns over a recent flare-up in political unrest.
Tensions have risen in Libya since former rebels besieged two ministries at the end of last month in a row over a law that would ban officials who served under slain former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi from holding office.
“In light of the current unsettled conditions around major anti-government demonstrations in Tripoli, the undersecretary for management has approved the ordered departure of non-emergency personnel from Libya,” US Department of State deputy spokesman Patrick Ventrell said. “A handful of our staff members have, indeed, departed Libya. Our embassy in Tripoli is still open and still functioning.”
Earlier, a spokesman for the British Foreign Office said that UK embassy in the Libyan capital was “temporarily withdrawing a small number of staff, mainly those who work in support of government ministries which have been affected by recent developments.”
British Ambassador Michael Aron tweeted that “despite rumors, the British embassy in Tripoli is open for business.”
However, the British Council cultural agency said separately that it was closing its Libya office until next week for the same reason.
It promised to make up any of the English language classes that students have missed.
Gunmen surrounded the Libyan foreign ministry on April 28 and the justice ministry two days later to demand the passing of a law excluding Qaddafi collaborators from office.
There has also been violence in Libya’s second city, Benghazi, the cradle of the 2011 uprising that toppled Qaddafi, with bomb attacks on Friday damaging two police stations, although there were no casualties.
Authorities blame radical extremists for the violence in Benghazi, including a deadly attack in September last year against the US consulate in the city that killed then-US ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
Britain, France and the US issued a joint statement on Wednesday calling on “all Libyans to refrain from armed protest and violence during this difficult time in the democratic transition.”
On Thursday, the US Department of State issued a travel warning, saying it “strongly advises against all but essential travel” to Tripoli and all travel to Benghazi, Bani Walid and southern Libya, including border areas and the regions of Sabha and Kufra.
On April 23, a car bomb exploded outside the French embassy, wounding two French guards and causing extensive damage.
The French government reduced the number of personnel at the mission, which continues to function despite the damages.
Meanwhile, the French school in Tripoli planned to stay closed until security around its building can be guaranteed, its directors said.
The German embassy has closed its doors, and its staff moved to secure quarters elsewhere in Tripoli, a Western source said.
VULNERABLE: Many women do not report sexual harassment by their landlord over fears they could lose the roof over their head, an expert said A growing number of landlords are asking tenants for sex in exchange for housing as COVID-19 lockdowns and job cuts have left many struggling to pay their rent, housing experts said. A survey by the National Fair Housing Alliance of more than 100 fair housing groups combating discrimination across the US found that 13 percent had seen an increase in sexual harassment complaints during the pandemic. “If I did not have sex with him, he was going to put me out,” one woman facing eviction by her property manager told the alliance in an podcast on its Web site. “As a single
HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES? An institute of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security and a company are to be sanctioned over ‘human rights violations and abuses’ The US Department of Commerce on Friday said that it would sanction a Chinese government institute and eight companies over alleged human rights abuses against Uighurs and other minorities in China’s western Xinjiang region. “These nine parties are complicit in human rights violations and abuses committed in China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs and other members of Muslim minority groups in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region,” the department said in a statement. The Chinese Ministry of Public Security’s Institute of Forensic Science and Aksu Huafu Textiles Co are to be sanctioned “for
‘OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE’: The Wuhan Institute of Virology has been researching bat coronaviruses to trace the SARS pathogen, which is 80 percent similar to SARS-CoV-2 The Chinese virology institute in the city where COVID-19 first emerged has three live strains of bat coronavirus on-site, but none match the new contagion wreaking havoc around the world, its director has said. Scientists think COVID-19 — which first emerged in Wuhan and has killed more than 340,000 people worldwide — originated in bats and could have been transmitted to people via another mammal. However, the director of the Wuhan Institute of Virology told state broadcaster China Global Television Network that claims made by US President Donald Trump and others that the novel coronavirus could have escaped from the facility were
Former US vice president Joe Biden on Friday said he “should not have been so cavalier” after he told a radio host that African Americans who back US President Donald Trump “ain’t black.” In a call with the US Black Chamber of Commerce that was added to his public schedule, Biden said he would never “take the African American community for granted.” “I shouldn’t have been such a wise guy,” Biden said. “No one should have to vote for any party based on their race or religion or background.” Biden faced criticism after his comments earlier on Friday on The Breakfast Club, a