Free them or put them on trial. Thus urges a petition to US President Barack Obama over the prisoners held at Guantanamo, jailed and in limbo for more than a decade.
The petition launched by Guantanamo’s former chief military prosecutor Colonel Morris Davis was signed by more than 137,400 people by late on Sunday for the president to bring some kind of closure to the fate of the terror suspects at the US prison on the eastern tip of Cuba.
Behind the walls of the prison on the arid hills of Guantanamo, the men lost in indefinite detention seek to draw attention to an unprecedented hunger strike many of them are waging. Yesterday, the hunger strike was to enter its fourth month.
Afghan prisoner Obaidullah echoed the sentiment of many of his fellow inmates when he said he was “losing all hope.”
His testimony was declassified on Friday.
“Eleven years of my life have been taken from me,” he said.
As of Friday, 100 of the “war on terror” suspects were observing the hunger strike, out of a total of 166, prison officials say.
Of them, 23 were being fed with tubes running down their noses and three were hospitalized, even though their lives were not in danger, prison spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Samuel House said.
Lawyers for the inmates say there are actually 130 hunger strikers, some of them refusing food since Feb. 6.
“One doesn’t need to do the math to know that some of the prisoners trying to kill themselves are not enemy combatants, or suspected terrorists or militants, or any of the phrases we turn to when we are scared and give up on courts,” The New Yorker magazine said in an editorial.
Of the prisoners still languishing at the US military prison, more than half — 86 — have been cleared for release, some of them for the past five years.
Why have these men ended up in “no man’s land” in Cuba, as Obama put it on Tuesday last week?
Clive Stafford Smith, a lawyer for 15 of the inmates, said many of the prisoners were captured in Afghanistan or Pakistan and “sold to the Americans for a reward.”
His clients include Shaker Aamer, a Briton who has been on hunger strike for 70 days, and jailed even though London has pledged to take him in.
“There is something fundamentally wrong with a system where not being charged with a war crime keeps you locked away indefinitely and a war crime conviction is your ticket home,” Davis said in his petition.
His petition drew 117,000 signatures in just 48 hours. As Guantanamo’s top military prosecutor, Davis recalled that he himself charged the only three former inmates to be found guilty of war crimes and sent home to their countries.
That is just three of the 779 prisoners held at the US prison over the past 11 years. Six others have been charged and now face proceedings before a military court.
Heavy rain and strong winds yesterday disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand’s North Island, while snapping power links to tens of thousands. Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancelations were still widespread after airport authorities said most morning flights were disrupted. Air New Zealand said it hoped to resume services when conditions ease later yesterday, after it paused operations at Wellington, Napier and Palmerston North airports. Online images showed flooded semi-rural neighborhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed
‘COST OF DEFECTION’: Duterte’s announcement could be an effort to keep allies in line with the promise of a return to power amid political uncertainty, an analyst said Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte yesterday announced she would run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028. Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, was impeached last year only to see the country’s Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues. Her announcement comes just days before her father, former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, begins a pretrial hearing at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Netherlands over crimes against humanity allegedly committed as part of a brutal crackdown on drugs. “I offer my life, my strength and my future
FEROCIOUS FISH-EATER Scientists have found a new species of dinosaur from the Cretaceous Period, a ‘hell heron’ that stalked the rivers, deep in the Saharan desert At a remote Sahara desert site in Niger, scientists have unearthed fossils of a new species of Spinosaurus, among the biggest of the meat-eating dinosaurs, notable for its large blade-shaped head crest and jaws bearing interlocking teeth for snaring fish. It prowled a forested inland environment and strode into rivers to catch sizable fish like a modern-day wading bird — a “hell heron,” as one of the researchers put it, considering it was about 12 meters long and weighed 5-7 tons. The dinosaur presented a striking profile on the Cretaceous Period landscape of Africa some 95 million years ago as it hunted
NOT YET THERE: While the show was impressive, it failed to demonstrate their ability to move in unstructured environments, such as a factory floor, an expert said Dancing humanoid robots on Monday took center stage during the annual China Media Group’s Spring Festival Gala, China’s most-watched official television broadcast. They lunged and backflipped (landing on their knees), they spun around and jumped. Not one fell over. The display was impressive, but if robots can now dance and perform martial arts, what else can they do? Experts have mixed opinions, with some saying the robots had limitations and that the display should be viewed through a lens of state propaganda. Developed by several Chinese robotics firms, the robots performed a range of intricate stunts, including martial arts, comedy sketches and choreographed