A US man whose estranged wife cut off his penis on Wednesday accused her of effectively murdering him, recounting his horror as she severed the organ and threw it into a garbage disposal machine.
The 60-year-old man said he would never have sex again after his wife — who said she “wanted him to stop hurting her with his penis” — drugged him and tied him to a bed, before taking a kitchen knife to his manhood.
Catherine Kieu Becker, 50, is on trial in Los Angeles charged with torture, bodily injury with a knife and aggravated mayhem over the alleged attack at their home in Garden Grove, southeast of Los Angeles.
“She murdered me that night,” said the victim, identified in court only as Glen, recounting the events of July 11, 2011.
The couple had been married for less than a year in 2010 when he told her he wanted a divorce, although they continued living together for financial reasons.
However, she accused him of being “hyper-sexual” and seeing too much of an ex-girlfriend, and planted audio devices round their home to try to catch him out — bugs which ended up recording the horrific alleged attack.
The victim said Kieu made a tofu and chicken dish — which lawyers said was laced with the insomnia drug Zolpidem — on the fateful night, while she ate a salad. Soon afterwards he felt groggy and went to bed early.
His next memory was waking up with his arms and feet tied to the corners of the bed. His wife was at the foot of the bed.
Recalling the moment she mutilated him, he said: Kieu “pulled on my shorts. I didn’t really understand what she was doing ... I looked down and I saw something metallic, silver, shiny.”
“I felt her grab hold of my penis. I was very surprised. All of a sudden I felt a very sharp pain and she had cut my penis off and then threw it on the carpet next to the bed,” he said.
He added that he recalled his wife picking up his penis and leaving the room.
“The next thing I heard was the garbage disposal,” he said.
A short time later Kieu returned and he asked her to call for an ambulance. She held the phone up so he could talk to the 911 dispatcher.
He spent a few days in hospital and underwent surgery, but “not reconstructive surgery,” in an operation “to make it usable as far as going to the bathroom.
“Of course, I will never have a sex life again,” he said. “The healing process may never be completely finished. My mental state is improving, but it may never be what it was before.”
Her lawyer, Frank Bittar, said Kieu had suffered a “lifetime of trauma” beginning with her childhood in civil war-torn Vietnam.
After moving to California she got married for the first time in 1984, but agreed to an “amicable” divorce in 1997.
“She’s not jealous and she’s not wicked and she’s not a black widow,” Bittar said.
She married her second husband in December 2009. He was “hyper-sexual,” using erectile dysfunction drugs and forcing her into “painful” sexual positions, the attorney said.
“You’re going to learn that in Catherine’s mind, she severed his penis because she wanted him to stop hurting her with his penis,” he said in his opening statement.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around