Israeli Ambassador to Poland Zvi Rav-Ner opened a 3D show of Warsaw ghetto photos on Wednesday as part of observances marking the 70th anniversary of the ghetto’s ill-fated revolt against Nazi Germans.
The 48 pictures shown at Warsaw’s Fotoplastikon are images of people walking or begging in the streets, street vendors, German troops and the Jewish cemetery.
Most of them were taken between 1940, when the ghetto was set up, and 1945, when almost nothing remained of Warsaw’s Jewish district. Some of the images are very poignant, like one of a boy searching for lice in his clothes.
Rav-Ner said the photos are proof of the immense suffering of the Jews in the ghetto and a warning against nationalist violence.
“It is very important that these pictures show how it really was, how they all suffered,” Rav-Ner said in Polish. “And then there was this great heroism. This was the first uprising against the Nazis in occupied Europe.”
On April 19, 1943, a few hundred poorly armed Jews put up resistance to the German forces, who were sending ghetto residents to death camps. The revolt was crushed in May, and the ghetto was razed to the ground, its residents killed.
The 2D photos were supplied by the family of Polish resistance photographer Stefan Baginski and turned into stereoscopic images that, when viewed through binoculars, offer a 3D effect. Some of the photos were taken by German soldiers and some by a Polish photographer, Mieczyslaw Bil-Bilazewski, who apparently worked for both the Nazi occupiers and the Polish resistance.
The show was organized by the Warsaw Rising Museum as part of observances marking the ghetto revolt anniversary. The 1944 Warsaw uprising was a separate city-wide revolt.
Museum director Jan Oldakowski said the two uprisings are often confused: the ghetto revolt being better known in the world, the Warsaw-wide uprising better known in Poland.
“They are both the heritage of Warsaw, and this is what we want to say through this picture show,” Oldakowski said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Poland’s parliament adopted a resolution honoring those who suffered and died in the ghetto.
It “pays homage to the victims and heroes of the uprising whose courage and sacrifice have earned admiration, respect and the memory of generations that came after them,” the resolution said.
State observances will be led by Poland’s president today.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses