Italy’s president on Friday pardoned a US Air Force colonel convicted in absentia by Italian courts in the CIA-conducted abduction of an Egyptian terror suspect from a Milan street in a move he hoped would keep American-Italian relations strong, especially on security matters.
Italian President Giorgio Napolitano’s office said the head of state granted the pardon “in hopes of giving a solution to a situation to an affair considered by the US to be without precedent because of the aspect of convicting a US military officer of NATO for deeds committed on Italian soil.”
Joseph Romano was security chief of northern Italy’s Aviano air base where the abducted Egyptian Muslim cleric was taken before being flown out of the country and eventually to Egypt.
He was one of 23 Americans convicted in absentia in the case and whose convictions were upheld last year by Italy’s highest criminal court.
Three other American had been acquitted in a first trial because of diplomatic immunity, but earlier this year, a Milan appeals court convicted the three, who included a former CIA station chief.
The trial was the first in the world involving the CIA’s extraordinary rendition program to abduct terror suspects and transfer them to third countries where torture is permitted.
Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr, also known as Abu Omar, was abducted in 2003 while walking down a street in Milan, where he preached. The cleric was hustled by car off to Aviano, then transferred to a US military base in Germany, before being flown to Egypt, where he said he was tortured. He was eventually released.
Romano’s defense said he was never formally notified of charges. Twenty-three Americans were convicted, all in absentia, and Italy’s highest criminal court last year upheld the convictions.
That top court decision paved the way for extradition requests by Italian authorities, but so far none have come from Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti’s government, which is staying on in a caretaker role following elections earlier this year. As president, Napolitano has the power to grant pardons, and he issued Romano’s pardon a month before his seven-year-term expires.
The presidential palace statement said that in deciding to pardon Romano, Napolitano had “above all, taken into account the fact that the president of the US, Barack Obama, immediately after his election, put an end to an approach of handling the challenges to national security” that were put into place after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, “a precise and concrete” moment in history.
Referring to US war on terror approaches like extraordinary rendition, the statement said such practices were “considered by Italy and the EU not compatible with fundamental principles of rule of law.”
Obama and Napolitano have enjoyed a strong personal relationship. Napolitano also considered a recent change in Italian law on criminal procedures that renounces Italian jurisdiction on crimes committed by NATO soldiers, the statement said.
Asked for reaction, the White House referred the matter to the Pentagon, which said it had no comment.
Although concern for the continuation of the long and traditionally strong Italian-US ties weighed on Napolitano’s decision, the timing might boost Rome’s position in a current dispute with India. Two Italian marines are facing criminal action by courts in India for the shooting of two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates while the Italians were providing security for an Italian cargo ship in the Indian Ocean. Italy insists it should try its own military men, while India insists it has jurisdiction.
In the cleric’s abduction case, the Americans were convicted in absentia following a three-and-a-half year trial and never were in Italian custody.
Romano’s lawyer had said he would take the case to the EU human rights court on the basis that Romano was never formally notified of the charges against him, and that lower courts had rejected several witnesses.
Romano was one of only two Americans who received permission to hire his own lawyer during the original trial.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete