Last month was the bloodiest month yet in Syria’s two-year-old conflict, with more than 6,000 documented deaths, a leading anti-regime activist group said on Monday, blaming the increase on heavier shelling and more violent clashes.
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights chairman Rami Abdul-Rahman said the increased toll is likely incomplete because both the Syrian army and the rebel groups fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government often under-report their dead in the civil war.
“Both sides are hiding information,” Abdul-Rahman said by telephone from Britain, where his group is based. “It is very difficult to get correct info on the fighters because they don’t want the information to hurt morale.”
The numbers, while provided by only one group, support the appraisal of the conflict offered by many Syria watchers: The civil war is largely a military stalemate that is destroying the country’s social fabric and taking a huge toll on civilians. The increase also reflects the continuing spread of major hostilities to new parts of Syria. While clashes continue in Aleppo, Damascus and Homs, Syria’s three largest cities, rebels have launched an offensive in recent weeks to seize towns and army bases in Daraa Province, largely with the help of an influx of foreign-funded weapons.
The Observatory, which works through a network of contacts in Syria, said those killed last month included similar numbers of combatants on both sides: 1,486 rebels and army defectors and 1,464 soldiers from the Syrian army.
However, the number of civilians killed exceeded them both: 2,080 total for the month, including 298 children and 291 women.
In addition, there were 387 unidentified civilians and 588 unidentified fighters, most of them foreigners fighting with the rebels, bringing last month’s total to 6,005, Abdul-Rahman said.
He criticized the international community for not doing more to stop the bloodshed, which he said could increase.
“If there is no solution, we think the numbers will get worse in the coming months,” he said.
Last month’s toll surpassed what had previously been the deadliest month, August last year, when airstrikes, clashes and shelling killed more than 5,400 people, Abdul-Rahman said. His total death toll for the conflict through the end last month was 62,554, a number he acknowledged as incomplete, suggesting the true figure could be twice as high.