US man bitten by shark
A police spokeswoman said a New York man is recovering after being bitten by a shark while visiting the island chain. Inspector Chrislyn Skippings of the Royal Bahamas Police Force said the visitor was fishing on the island of Eleuthera when he was bitten on the left leg. The 50-year-old from Rochester, New York, went to a local clinic on his own and was airlifted to a hospital in the capital of Nassau for treatment. He was listed in stable condition on Friday. The attack occurred on Thursday in the Savannah Sound, where fishermen wade in several feet of water to go bone fishing. The area is known to have bull and tiger sharks, though attacks on humans are rare.
‘Fireball’ meteor sighted
Social media sites are buzzing with reports of a flash of light that streaked across the sky along the east coast. Bill Cooke of NASA’s Meteoroid Environmental Office said on Friday that the flash appeared to be “a single meteor event.” He said it “looks to be a fireball that moved roughly toward the southeast, going on visual reports.” He added that the meteor was widely seen, with more than 350 reports on the Web site of the American Meteor Society alone. Derrick Pitts, chief astronomer at Philadelphia’s Franklin Institute, agreed that the sightings had all the hallmarks of a “fireball.” Pitts said this one got more attention because it happened on a Friday evening — and because Twitter has provided a way for people to share information on sightings.
Police seek charges over fire
Police say they are seeking criminal charges against 16 people in connection with the nightclub fire that killed 241 people earlier this year. Inspector Marcelo Arigony said on Friday that the mayor and fire chief of the city where the fire took place were also responsible for the tragedy because of the negligent safety inspections of the nightclub. On Jan. 27, fire roared through the crowded, windowless Kiss nightclub in the city of Santa Maria, filling the air with flames and thick, toxic smoke. Arigony said the band performing at the club lit a flare, which ignited flammable soundproofing foam on the ceiling. The cyanide, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide released by the ensuing fire “was what killed the people inside.” Security violations at the club, located in a town in Rio Grande do Sul State, included a lack of emergency lights, inoperable fire extinguishers, and an overcrowded dance floor. The tragedy was a huge embarrassment for Brazil as it gears up to host the 2014 soccer World Cup and the 2016 summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Paper sued over ‘Nazi photo’
A Croatian actor has won a libel suit after a newspaper wrongly identified him as a Nazi war criminal. Ljubomir Jurkovic sued the Independent after his photograph was used to illustrate a story about the death of Samuel Kunz, who served as a guard at the Belzec death camp in eastern Poland. The picture was actually from the 2007 film The Living and the Dead, in which Jurkovic played the role of an officer in the Croatian fascist movement. Jurkovic’s lawyer Christina Michalos said on Friday that she wanted to make clear that her client never committed war crimes and “does not subscribe to any form of Nazi ideology.” The Independent’s publisher, which is paying undisclosed damages, apologized for the mistake.