Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard faced a string of ministerial resignations yesterday in the wake of a botched leadership coup against her, forcing a reshuffle of her Labor government just months from potentially disastrous elections.
Australian Minister of Resources Martin Ferguson said he would step down, joining departing Cabinet colleagues Simon Crean and Chris Bowen, as well as junior minister Kim Carr. All had backed Gillard’s chief rival, Mandarin-speaking former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd, as the party’s best hope to reverse polls pointing to a thrashing by conservative opponents at the Sept. 14 elections.
“I have a view it’s the only honorable thing to do. I would have voted for Kevin Rudd yesterday and Simon Crean, to try and give this party a fresh start,” an emotional Ferguson told reporters at parliament in Canberra.
The political unrest in the country threatens to cloud decisionmaking with elections just six months away and as the minority government readies to take leadership of the G20, and after Canberra became a rotating UN Security Council member.
Gillard stamped her authority on Labor by being re-elected unopposed, after Rudd conceded he did not have the numbers to topple her after a tumultuous day of backroom plotting that is to do even more damage to the government’s fading popularity.
Treasurer Wayne Swan, widely derided by voters despite having steered the G20 member through the last financial downturn with 5.4 percent unemployment and a 21st year of unbroken economic growth, was re-elected as Gillard’s deputy.
Crean was sacked immediately by Gillard on Thursday for backing Rudd, in what newspapers called a political “suicide bombing” that appeared to have delivered no gains for Labor except the near-certainty of a thumping election defeat.
Rudd, ousted by Gillard in 2010 amid another round of plummeting polls, said yesterday he would never again run for the leadership — unless it was already vacant.
“I don’t think it’s worth raking over the coals. What’s done is done and let’s get on with the future,” Rudd said. “It’s really important that we bind together and that’s what the Australian people expect of us.”
Bowen, one of Rudd’s key backers and a former immigration minister, said he would also quit, stripping Gillard’s top ranks of another of its most effective political talents.
Ferguson, in particular, had been an influential advocate for the country’s mining industry and helped broker a 2010 deal with major resource companies, including BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto, to abandon a damaging campaign against a mining profits tax introduced by Labor and later watered down.
Gillard, the plain-speaking daughter of Welsh migrants, has consistently failed to arrest a slump in opinion polls, which predict a major defeat in September, with Labor losing about 20 seats in the 150-seat parliament.
However, she attempted to draw a line under the divisions and concerns about her leadership, extending a press conference at a road construction site north of Sydney yesterday to face down questions from journalists about the government’s stability.
“This issue is over and done with. This issue has been resolved for all time, and I think Kevin’s [Rudd’s] statement reflects that,” she said.
Gillard said she would make changes to her ministry in coming days, but faced a headache over who to appoint after the departure of some her most effective talents.
“I’m someone who is made of I think pretty strong stuff and I think that’s been on display. Politics is not an easy business,” she said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against