Senior Chinese military officials have admitted for the first time that a frigate locked its radar on a Japanese destroyer during the two nations’ row over the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台), Kyodo News reported on Monday.
In one of the more serious incidents in an escalating wrangle over ownership of the islands in the East China Sea, which are also claimed by Taiwan and which Japan calls the Senkakus, Tokyo said the Chinese vessel effectively had a Japanese ship in its sights earlier this year.
Meanwhile, three Chinese marine surveillance ships were seen entering the territorial waters extending 12 nautical miles (22.2km) off one of the islands at about 6:30pm, the Japanese Coast Guard said.
Kyodo reported that the vessels left the area by about 9:30pm.
State-owned Chinese vessels have intermittently cruised near the Tokyo-controlled islands since Japan nationalized three of them in September last year, at times inside territorial waters.
Beijing has consistently denied the allegation of the radar lock and has accused Tokyo of exaggerating the “China threat” in a bid to manipulate world public opinion against its giant neighbor.
However, Kyodo News cited unidentified senior Chinese military officials as saying the weapons targeting had taken place.
The officials, including “flag officers” — those at the rank of admiral — told Kyodo it was an “emergency decision” and not a planned action and was taken by the commander of the frigate, the report said.
The radar incident marked the first time the two nations’ navies have locked horns in the increasingly bitter island row.
The Chinese officials told Kyodo that on Jan. 30 the frigate and the Japanese destroyer were 3km apart in international waters, the report said.
The commander of the frigate directed his vessel’s weapons-targeting radar, based on China’s rules of engagement, without seeking instructions from the fleet command or navy headquarters, Kyodo cited the Chinese officers as saying.
Beijing has denied the accusations and the Chinese Ministry of Defence on Monday said the truth was “very clear.”
“The Japanese allegation of Chinese navy vessels targeting warships and airplanes of the Japanese Self-Defense Forces with fire-control radar does not fit the facts,” it said in a statement faxed to reporters.
A later statement from the Chinese navy carried by the Xinhua news agency said the foreign reports had been “maliciously concocted.”
The statement said the reports were “fabricated out of thin air” and were trying to damage the Chinese military’s image, mislead international opinion and win sympathy.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of