Sun, Mar 17, 2013 - Page 7 News List

Wolrd News Quick Take



Arsonist sentenced

A shipyard worker who set fire to rags aboard a nuclear submarine because he wanted to go home was sentenced to a little more than 17 years in US federal prison on Friday for the blaze that transformed the vessel into a fiery furnace, injured seven people and caused US$450 million in damage. Casey James Fury was also ordered to pay US$400 million in restitution. The judge imposed the sentence under a plea agreement that limited his time in prison to roughly 15 to 19 years for arson. The 25-year-old Fury pleaded guilty to setting the May 23 fire while the submarine was undergoing a 20-month dry dock overhaul at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery. The civilian painter and sand blaster told authorities that he needed to go home because he was suffering from an anxiety attack and had no more vacation or sick leave.


Impostor trial to start

The murder trial of a German man who allegedly passed himself off as a member of the Rockefeller family will start tomorrow, after a jury was selected last week, a court clerk said. Christian Gerhartsreiter, accused of killing his ex-landlord, was present as lawyers questioned prospective jurors to narrow them down on Friday to the 12-strong panel which will decide the trial. Gerhartsreiter is charged with murder in the February 1985 death of his former landlord John Sohus. The victim and his wife were last seen in 1985. A short time after they disappeared, a man calling himself Christopher Chichester, who lived in a home behind the victim’s in San Marino, northeast of Los Angeles, also vanished. Investigators discovered that Christopher Chichester was one of many aliases used by Gerhartsreiter, who also passed himself off as Clark Rockefeller, a member of the storied US family. Sohus’ body was finally discovered in 1994 in his garden. His wife has never been found.


Angry mob incinerates man

A man was caught by an angry crowd and burned to death near Guatemala City’s historic downtown after a shooting that wounded a driver and passenger on a city bus, firefighters said on Friday. “They beat him and then they set him on fire,” municipal fire department spokesman Raul Hernandez said. The incident happened on Thursday in the center of the city after two men on a motorcycle shot at a city bus, wounding the driver and a passenger, he said. The driver of another car, who witnessed the shooting, drove into the motorcycle. One of the two men on the motorcycle escaped, later to be arrested by police. An angry crowd trapped the other man, beat him, doused him with gasoline and then set him on fire, he said. There have been a wave of attacks recently on public transport in Guatemala City that have claimed the lives of two drivers.


Gunmen kill seven in bar

Gunmen burst into a bar in a blue-collar neighborhood of the beach resort of Cancun, killing seven people, including the head of a taxi union, the state prosecutor’s office said. Four men with weapons arrived in a convoy of cars in front of bar before entering the place and shooting at a group of people on Thursday, the Quintana Roo state prosecutor’s office said. A number of people were wounded. Six victims died on the spot while another one succumbed to his wounds while being taken to a hospital. Cancun, the country’s most popular tourist destination, has mostly avoided the drug-related violence since 2006.

This story has been viewed 1563 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top