A unilateral ceasefire by Colombia’s main leftist rebel group that ended at midnight on Sunday was deemed largely successful by analysts, who say it showed that divisions in the insurgency’s ranks are relatively minor.
The rebels’ main negotiator in peace talks taking place in Cuba, Ivan Marquez, offered on Sunday to extend the two-month ceasefire if the government would agree to embrace it.
An alternative, Marquez told reporters in Havana as he headed into peace talks centering on agrarian reform, could be to “regularize the war” by obtaining promises from the government that it would stop placing military bases in population centers.
There was no immediate response from the government, though Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has refused to halt hostilities during peace talks that formally began in Havana in November after six months of secret negotiations.
In a communique published on Sunday, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, said it had not mounted “even a single attack on bases or fixed installations of the armed forces, nor on police barracks or posts.”
It said that any casualties suffered by Colombia’s security forces were dealt in self-defense. The FARC said that during the same period a year earlier it had killed at least 284 security force members and wounded 278.
The rebels did not say how many casualties it had suffered during the unilateral ceasefire, but at least 33 were killed in at least two major aerial bombardments on rebel camps.
There were sporadic guerrilla attacks, but analyst Jorge Restrepo of the independent CERAC think tank said they exhibited “relatively minor divisions within the FARC” about whether a unilateral ceasefire was appropriate.
The Nuevo Arco Iris think tank said guerrilla actions during the period fell 87 percent from the year-before two-month period, according to its director, Leon Valencia.
He said it counted nine hostile offensive actions out of a total of 41, with the rest being defensive or resulting from unintentional contact with security forces.
Military officials said they were prohibited from providing numbers on combat or casualties during the two months.
The national ombudsman, Jorge Armando Otalora, said in a report on Friday that there had been 57 attacks by rebels against civilians or security forces, an average of one per day.
One of them was an attack on a police post in the municipality of Guapi on Dec. 31 in which two police and four civilians were wounded.
The FARC is believed to number about 8,000 fighters, down from about twice that amount a decade ago. Colombia’s US-backed military dealt it a series of withering blows during that time, including killing three members of its ruling secretariat. Colombia’s neazrly half-century-old conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives, most of them civilians.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”