Celebratory gunfire killed a four-year-old boy and more than 400 others were injured by powerful firecrackers in typically rowdy New Year celebrations in the Philippine capital of Manila, officials said yesterday.
A bullet hit the boy in the back as he was playing outside his home in Manila’s Mandaluyong District, city police Chief Superintendent Leonardo Espina said.
He said police launched an investigation to trace the gun owner, but admitted it may take time in a country where unlicensed firearms are widespread.
“We caught 10 people firing indiscriminately, most of them were private security guards who were drunk,” he said on DZBB radio.
Espina said policemen found to have fired their guns to usher in the new year would also be disciplined.
Philippine Secretary of Health Enrique Ona said 404 people nationwide were either burned or maimed by firecrackers, about half of them young children.
Among them was a teenage boy whose hand had to be amputated.
“He picked up what he thought was an unlit firecracker left on the road. It exploded in his hand,” the boy’s mother, Mariel Lou Pateno, said at the packed trauma section of a state hospital.
“We hope the numbers will not rise, but we are expecting more to arrive within the day,” said Alfonso Nunez, one of the doctors at the hospital.
The city’s fire department said 12 blazes were reported overnight, including a school that caught fire due to fireworks being let off near a sprawling slum area in Manila.
No one was injured in the fires, although dozens of families were left homeless, the fire department center said.
It is tradition in the mostly Catholic nation of about 100 million to greet the new year by making noise, in a belief that it will drive bad spirits away.
However, hundreds are hurt annually by firecrackers and stray bullets, despite strict orders from Philippine President Benigno Aquino III for police to clamp down on guns and ban powerful firecrackers.
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,