Australia yesterday condemned Japan’s annual whaling expedition as its hunting fleet steamed to the Southern Ocean, and said a challenge through the International Court of Justice should be heard next year.
Canberra is strongly opposed to whaling and launched legal action challenging the basis of the so-called scientific hunt in December 2010 after failing to persuade Tokyo to halt the cull of almost 1,000 animals through diplomatic channels.
Japan says it conducts vital scientific research using a provision in an international ban on whaling, but makes no secret of the fact that the animals ultimately end up on dinner plates.
New Zealand formally applied to join Australia last month, with the two countries arguing that the slaughter is needless and has no scientific merit.
“The Australian government condemns all commercial whaling, including Japan’s so-called ‘scientific’ whaling,” Australian Minister of the Environment Tony Burke said yesterday.
“It is particularly offensive that Japan’s whaling will take place in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary established by the International Whaling Commission. We will keep working to achieve a permanent end to all commercial whaling,” he said.
His comments came as Japanese whaling vessels left port on Friday on a collision course with militant environmentalist group Sea Shepherd, which has vowed to stop the hunt and has four ships bound for the Southern Ocean.
The fleet’s departure comes weeks later than expected and days after a US court ordered Sea Shepherd to stay at least 500 meters from whaling vessels.
Citing the Japanese Fisheries Agency, Kyodo News reported three vessels left from the far-western port of Shimonoseki, while environmental group Greenpeace said the whaling fleet’s main ship departed from another port.
Japan is aiming to catch 935 Antarctic minke whales and up to 50 fin whales, the fisheries agency said earlier.
Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs Bob Carr said the stand against commercial whaling was shared by the international community.
“The International Court of Justice is an appropriate forum for a resolution for this issue,” he said. “We’re matching words with action in pursuing this matter before the court. And we do so with the support of the majority of nations in our region and around the world.”
Both Canberra and Tokyo have filed their detailed written arguments in the International Court of Justice, he added.
The court will now set the case down for a hearing in The Hague, with Australia anticipating it will be listed for the latter half of next year.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big