Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers in one of the most appalling atrocities of the war, the US military said on Wednesday.
US Staff Sergeant Robert Bales faces 16 murder charges, six of attempted murder, seven of assault and two of using drugs. Seventeen of the 22 people killed or wounded were women or children, and almost all were shot in the head.
If sentenced to death, Bales could be the first US soldier executed in more than half a century.
The 39-year-old is to face a full court martial authorized to sentence him to a maximum penalty of death for the alleged March massacre, the US military said.
“This decision was made after reviewing the Article 32 report of investigation,” a statement from Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Tacoma, Washington, said, referring to the report compiled from last month’s so-called Article 32 hearings.
“The government will seek the death penalty,” base spokesman Gary Dangerfield told reporters.
The statement stressed that for capital punishment to be imposed, the court martial must unanimously agree on certain conditions.
These are that Bales “is guilty of the eligible crime, at least one aggravating factor exists and that the aggravating factor must substantially outweigh any extenuating or mitigating circumstances,” it said.
Bales allegedly left his base in the Panjwayi District of southern Kandahar Province on the night of March 11 to commit the killings, which included nine children.
Prosecutors at the Article 32 pre-trial hearing alleged that Bales left the base twice to carry out the killings, returning in between and even telling a colleague what he had done.
The week-long hearing included three sessions to hear testimony from Afghan survivors and relatives of those who died.
At the end of the pre-trial hearings, Bales’ family stressed that he was innocent until proven guilty, while his lawyer raised questions about the role alcohol, drugs and stress had in the tragedy.
However, prosecutors lashed out at the “heinous and despicable” alleged massacre.
“Based on the sheer brutality and nature of the crimes, it is our recommendation to proceed to a general court martial,” US prosecutor Major Rob Stelle said last month.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete