An official report on Wednesday strongly criticized the BBC’s handling of allegations of child sex abuse against late presenter Jimmy Savile, but cleared the world’s biggest broadcaster of a cover-up.
The findings by an independent inquiry sparked the resignation of the BBC’s deputy director of news, and led to the editor and deputy editor of the program at the center of the scandal being replaced.
The report exposed the “chaos and confusion” at the BBC, although it dismissed claims that its flagship current affairs program, Newsnight, dropped an investigation into Savile so as not to jeopardize Christmas tribute shows to him.
The BBC commissioned the inquiry by former Sky News executive Nick Pollard in October during a major crisis at the corporation that cost then-director-general George Entwistle his job.
Savile, who died last year at the age of 84, was one of the BBC’s top television and radio presenters.
The child abuse claims were first made public by rival broadcaster ITV two months ago and since then, police have identified 199 crimes in which Savile is a suspect, including 31 alleged rapes.
Newsnight first had evidence of the allegations a year ago, shortly after Savile’s death, but it dropped the story after just a few weeks.
The Pollard report criticized the decision to drop the probe and the BBC’s failure to deal with the ensuing crisis, which it said was plagued by infighting and a “critical lack of leadership and coordination.”
“In my view, the most worrying aspect of the Jimmy Savile story for the BBC was not the decision to drop the story itself, it was the complete inability to deal with the events that followed,” Pollard said.
BBC Trust chairman Chris Patten, a former governor of Hong Kong, said the BBC accepted the review in its “entirety” and looked at the failings of the corporation with “pretty searing honesty.”
In an e-mail to staff, acting director-general Tim Davie welcomed the finding that there was no cover-up, but acknowledged the report had exposed “clear failings” which must now be addressed.
He announced a shake-up of staff at Newsnight, saying the program’s editor and deputy editor would move to other BBC jobs.
He also said Stephen Mitchell was resigning as deputy director of BBC news and would leave next year after 38 years with the corporation.
Mitchell had stood aside pending the Pollard review and was criticized in the report for removing Newsnight’s Savile investigation from an internal BBC list that flagged up controversial stories.
Mitchell’s boss, director of news Helen Boaden, keeps her job despite being criticized for failing to take greater responsibility.
The scandal over Newsnight’s dropped investigation was compounded when the program broadcast a report last month which wrongly implicated former Conservative Party politician Alistair McAlpine in child sex abuse.
The BBC was forced to apologize and pay substantial damages to McAlpine.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”