Petraeus in new game
Former CIA director David Petraeus has landed on his feet with a new gig in Call of Duty: Black Ops II. The retired Army general who stepped down as intelligence chief last week amid a scandal surrounding his extramarital affair pops up in the highly anticipated Activision Blizzard Inc first-person shooter game released on Tuesday. A character with Petraeus’ name and likeness voiced by Jim Meskimen briefly appears as the secretary of defense in the year 2025. Black Ops II also features an encounter with Manuel Noriega, a female president resembling Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and an aircraft carrier named USS Barack Obama.
Lotto win breaks record
A lucky punter beat the national record for a EuroMillions lottery haul on Tuesday, winning a staggering 169.8 million euros (almost US$216 million), enough to buy nearly four tonnes of gold. The sole winner of the draw beats the former record, won by a man in the northwestern Calvados area last year, by more than 7 million euros. Organizers La Francaise des Jeux did not say what part of the country Tuesday’s winner was from. Whoever it is will instantly become the 221st richest French person, according to Challenge magazine’s rich list.
Two Sri Lankans charged
Two Sri Lankan men were charged on Tuesday with the murder of a former commander of Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tigers rebel group in Paris, a judicial source said. Nadarajah Mathinthiran was gunned down on Thursday night last week as he was leaving the headquarters of the Tamil Coordination Committee in France (CCTF), an organization regarded as a front for what remains of the Tigers. The source said one of the men was suspected of ordering the murder and the other of carrying out the hit on the Sri Lankan-born French national. Mathinthiran was a leader in the Paris division of the CCTF, and in February was sentenced to five years in prison for extortion and financing terrorism. Mathinthiran’s daughter on Monday accused the Sri Lankan government of involvement in her father’s murder.
Man recants sex claim
The man who claimed he had underage sex with the puppeteer behind Sesame Street character Elmo recanted his claims on Tuesday, media reports said. The unnamed man, now 23, had claimed that Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash had a sexual relationship with him when the accuser was 16 years old. “He wants it to be known that his sexual relationship with Mr Clash was an adult consensual relationship,” the law firm Andreozzi and Associates, who represent the man, told media outlets in a statement. Clash, 52, had denied the allegations.