Mon, Nov 12, 2012 - Page 5 News List

Witnesses recount Afghan massacre

TESTIMONIES:A hearing into a killing spree allegedly carried out by a US soldier began on Monday last week and is to determine whether he is to be court-martialed

AP, JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Washington

Stories of the massacre came, one by one, over a live video link from Afghanistan into a military courtroom outside Seattle: torched bodies, a son finding his wounded father, boys cowering behind a curtain while others screamed: “We are children. We are children.”

As the Afghans recounted the horror that left 16 dead in the darkness early on March 11, the US soldier accused of carrying out the rampage sat quietly in the courtroom.

At one point, Staff Sergeant Robert Bales moved closer to a large monitor showing the testimony. At other times, he watched as it played on a laptop screen in front of him. Either way, he gave no discernible reaction to the stories he heard.

The hearing at Joint Base Lewis-McChord is meant to help determine whether Bales, 39, will face a court-martial in the deaths of the seven adults and nine children.

Bales has not entered a plea and was not expected to testify. His attorneys have not discussed the evidence, but say he has post-traumatic stress disorder and suffered a concussive head injury while serving in Iraq.

The hearing, which began on Monday last week, was held overnight on Friday to accommodate the Afghan witnesses.

They recounted the villagers who lived in the attacked compounds and listed the names of those killed, to provide a record of the lives lost. The bodies were buried quickly under Islamic custom, and no forensic evidence was available to prove the number of victims.

The youngest witness was Sadiquallah, a slight boy of about 13 or 14 whose head rose just above the back of the seat he was sitting in. With his ears sticking out from beneath a white cap, he described being awakened by a neighbor screaming that an American had “killed our men.”

He said he and another boy ran to hide in a storage room and ducked behind a curtain. It provided no protection from the bullet that grazed his head and fractured his skull.

Sadiquallah said the shooter had a gun and a light, but he could not identify the man.

The other child was hit in the thigh and also survived.

The boy, Rafiullah, testified on Saturday that an American had attacked them and put a gun in his sister’s mouth.

Sadiquallah’s older brother, Quadratullah, sought refuge with other children in a different part of the house. When the gunman found them, Quadratullah testified, the children scrambled, yelling: “We are children. We are children.”

The boys’ father, Haji Mohammed Naim, was the first person shot at the home.

He testified that he was awoken by shots and dogs barking. He asked his wife to light a lantern, and saw the shooter climb over a compound wall.

“He jumped from the wall, and I just saw the light on his head,” Naim said. “He just started shooting me.”

Asked how close the gunman was to him when he was shot, the thick-bearded Naim gestured toward a water bottle on the table in front of him, less than an arm’s length away: “He was as close as this bottle.”

One older son, Faizullah, recalled being awoken by someone telling him there had been a shooting at his father’s compound. He rushed there to find him with a gunshot wound to the throat. One of Naim’s daughters was also wounded, as were two neighbor siblings.

Faizullah said he loaded the wounded into a car, using a blanket to lift some of them. They were treated at a nearby base, then flown to a bigger military hospital in Kandahar. All five survived.

This story has been viewed 1147 times.
TOP top