Fighting erupted in a Damascus suburb and around an army base in northern Syria yesterday, opposition sources said, as truce marking a Muslim holiday crumbled almost before it had begun.
Three people were killed by tank fire and snipers in Harasta, a town near Damascus, activists said.
The Syrian military had said it would hold fire yesterday morning following an appeal by international mediator Lakhdar Brahimi for a pause in fighting which has killed 32,000 people and which threatens to draw regional powers into the conflict.
However, violations by both sides swiftly marred the truce.
Rebels in a northern town near the Turkish border said a sniper had killed one of their fighters early yesterday and a journalist there heard the sound of four tank rounds.
“We don’t believe the ceasefire will work,” rebel commander Basel Eissa said. “There’s no Eid [‘festival’] for us rebels on the front line. The only Eid we can celebrate will be liberation.”
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said rebels were trying to storm the Wadi al-Daif army base, which is less than 1km from the Damascus-Aleppo highway, and that troops had fired artillery at a nearby village.
Citing opposition activists, the British-based group also said the army had fired six rockets at the besieged Khalidiya district of Homs, wounding two people and damaging houses.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s forces had announced conditional acceptance of a cease fire on Thursday night.
“On the occasion of the blessed Eid al-Adha, the general command of the army and armed forces announces a halt to military operations on the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic, from Friday morning ... until Monday,” the army said.
However, it warned it would respond to any rebel attacks, or moves to exploit the truce to reinforce or resupply insurgents.
A commander from the rebel Free Syrian Army had said his fighters would also honor the ceasefire, but demanded that al-Assad meet opposition demands for the release of thousands of detainees.
Some Islamist fighters, including the Nusra Front, dismissed the truce before it even came into effect, but after a night of clashes in Aleppo, Damascus and the west of the country, activists had reported an initial lull in hostilities.
One exception was the southern town of Inkhil, where three people were wounded as they tried to protest after special prayers in a mosque to mark the start of the Eid, according to Rami Abdulrahman, head of the Syrian Observatory.
Several other demonstrations in the southern province of Daraa, cradle of the protests which erupted against al-Assad in March last year, were also broken up, Abdulrahman said.
Al-Assad himself, who has vowed to defeat what he says are Islamist fighters backed by Syria’s enemies abroad, was shown on state television attending Eid prayers at a Damascus mosque.
Damascus residents said on Thursday night troops stationed on a mountain overlooking Damascus targeted Hajar al-Aswad, a poor district inhabited by refugees from the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
“Consecutive artillery volleys from Qasioun shook my home,” said an engineer who lives in al-Muhajereen district on a foothill of the mountain, giving his name only as Omar.
The fighting pits mainly Sunni Muslim rebels against al-Assad, from the minority Alawite sect which is distantly related to Shiite Islam. Brahimi has warned that the conflict could suck in Sunni and Shiite powers across the Middle East.
Qassem Saadeddine, head of the military council in Homs province and spokesman for the FSA joint command, said on Thursday his fighters were committed to the truce, but demanded the release of detainees by yesterday morning.
Abu Moaz, spokesman for Ansar al-Islam, which includes several brigades fighting in and around Damascus, said the Islamist group doubted al-Assad’s forces would observe the truce, though it might suspend operations if they did.
“We do not care about this truce. We are cautious. If the tanks are still there and the checkpoints are still there then what is the truce?” he asked.
Brahimi’s predecessor, former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan, declared a ceasefire in Syria on April 12, but it soon became a dead letter, along with the rest of his peace plan.
Violence has intensified since then, with daily death tolls compiled by opposition monitoring groups often exceeding 200.
UN aid agencies have geared up to take advantage of any window of opportunity provided by a ceasefire to go to areas hard to access due to fighting, a UN official in Geneva said.
The UN refugee agency UNHCR said it had prepared emergency kits for distribution for up to 13,000 families — an estimated 65,000 people — in Homs and the northeastern city of Hassaka.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread