Lebanese Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah on Thursday acknowledged having sent a drone aircraft that was shot down last weekend after flying about 55km into Israel.
Nasrallah said in a televised speech that the drone’s parts were manufactured in Iran and it was assembled by members of the Shiite Muslim militant movement in Lebanon.
He confirmed a statement by Israel’s prime minister earlier in the day saying that Hezbollah was behind the drone flight.
“The resistance in Lebanon sent a sophisticated reconnaissance aircraft from Lebanon … It penetrated the enemy’s iron procedures and entered occupied southern Palestine,” Nasrallah said.
Hezbollah does not recognize the state of Israel.
Tensions have increased in the region with Israel threatening to bomb the nuclear sites of Hezbollah’s patron Iran if diplomacy and sanctions fail to stop Iranian nuclear activity the West suspects is meant to develop a weapons capability. Tehran says it is seeking only civilian nuclear energy.
Iran has threatened in turn to attack US military bases in the Middle East and retaliate against Israel if attacked.
Seeking to underline that Hezbollah was capable of reaching targets well inside Israel, Nasrallah said the drone “flew over sensitive installations inside southern Palestine and was shot down in an area near the Dimona nuclear reactor.”
Iran said the incursion exposed the weakness of Israeli air defense, indicating that Israel’s Iron Dome anti-missile defense system “does not work and lacks the necessary capacity.”
The Iron Dome system, jointly funded with Washington, is designed to down short-range guerrilla rockets, not slow-flying aircraft.
Hezbollah last fought Israel in 2006 during a 34-day war in which 1,200 people in Lebanon, mostly civilians, and 160 Israelis, mostly soldiers, were killed.
Since that war, Hezbollah has a number of times suggested it had expanded its arsenal in an apparent strategy of deterrence.
Hezbollah is also an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is fighting to put down a 19-month-old uprising that has turned into a civil war with sectarian dimensions, largely pitting the majority Sunni Muslims against al-Assad’s minority Alawite community, who are an offshoot of Shiite Islam.
Nasrallah has explicitly expressed political support for al-Assad, whose opponents have accused Hezbollah of sending fighters to help the Syrian leader quell the insurgency.
Nasrallah denied such accusations.
“We have not fought alongside the regime until now. The regime did not ask us to do so and also who says that doing so is in Lebanon’s interest?” he said.
Earlier this month Hezbollah buried two of its fighters who local sources said were killed near a Syrian border town. Hezbollah acknowledged the death of only one fighter and said he was a commander who “died while performing his jihad duties.”
It did not elaborate. Nasrallah said on Thursday that he was killed in a roadside bomb in a town near the Syrian border.
Last month, the US Treasury imposed sanctions on Nasrallah for what it said was support given to al-Assad against anti-government protests, as well as two other members for the group’s “terrorist activities” in general.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against