Jilted lover kills five
A jilted New Delhi resident upset over the marriage of his girlfriend to another man shot her and four others dead before turning his gun on himself, a report said yesterday. The 25-year-old man, named as Ravi, shot the woman, her new husband and her landlady in one location on Monday morning before traveling to a suburb to kill her father and sister, the Press Trust of India news agency reported. Ravi, who had allegedly continued his relationship with his ex-girlfriend even after her marriage over a year ago, was unhappy with her family who had prevented him from marrying her, a senior police official was quoted as saying.
New prime minister named
President Abdelaziz Bouteflika named Abdelmalek Sellal as the country’s new prime minister on Monday, ending political uncertainty almost four months after parliamentary elections. According to convention, Ahmed Ouyahia should have stepped down as prime minister following the poll, after which Bouteflika should have either invited Ouyahia back or named a new person for the job. None of this has happened, and the delay in naming a new prime minister and government paralyzed politics. An official statement said 75-year-old Bouteflika had “put an end to the functions of Prime Minister Ahmed Ouyahia, who has presented the resignation of the government.” The names of the other ministers in the new government were to be announced yesterday.
Military official suspended
A military official has been suspended and placed under investigation over accusations of a drunken assault on a flight attendant, the state-run China Daily said yesterday. Fang Daguo was suspended from his job with the armed forces department of Guangzhou, the newspaper said, after a stewardess accused him of assaulting her in a dispute over his hand luggage. Zhou Yumeng had posted pictures on Sina Weibo showing injuries she said Fang inflicted, triggering uproar on popular social networking sites. Xinhua news agency said Fang and his wife “stank of alcohol” when they boarded the flight from Hefei to Guangzhou, and that Fang grabbed Zhou’s arm hard enough to bruise it. Officials in Guangzhou’s Yuexiu district, where Fang is employed, said last week an investigation had found him innocent, but changed tack after Xinhua disputed their account. Fang and his wife have reportedly apologized to Zhou.
Man wins compensation
A Seoul court yesterday awarded a fisherman compensation of more than US$2 million for being tortured and imprisoned in the 1980s on false charges of spying for Pyongyang. The Seoul Central District court ordered a payment of 2.45 billion won (US$2.2 million) to the fisherman, identified as Cheong, and six of his family members named in the compensation suit, a court spokesman said. Cheong, along with dozens of other fishermen, was briefly detained in the North in 1965 after they were seized while collecting shellfish on an islet in the Yellow Sea. In 1982, he was taken into custody by Seoul’s military-backed government and grilled for 13 days by counter-espionage agents who accused him of spying for the North. Released without charge, he was detained again the following year for 38 days, and ended up signing a confession under torture which led to his wife and brother confessing under similar duress. Cheong, now 71, served 15 years in prison before being released on parole in 1998.