Thu, Jul 19, 2012 - Page 7 News List

Balloonists tell of harrowing flight in Oregon storm


Two men flying matching lawn chairs suspended by helium-filled party balloons over central Oregon last weekend said on Tuesday they were floating along peacefully at 4,300m when thunderstorms grabbed control of their homemade craft like a giant hand.

“It was so nice, so beautiful, so peaceful,” for the first three hours of the flight, said Iraqi adventurer Fareed Lafta, who joined lawn chair ballooning veteran Kent Couch in an attempt to fly from Couch’s gas station in Bend, Oregon, to Montana as a warm-up for a future flight over Iraq. “I remember I can hear the cow when they moo, the dogs. Everything was so peaceful and so nice.”

“Then we were in this thunderstorm,” Lafta said.

Couch said it was like some giant hand grabbed hold of their craft.

“It felt like a wind just raced up and grabbed the balloons and just squeezed them,” Couch said. “Ten of them popped at one time. It sounded like a string of firecrackers being let off. I would say that’s probably where we felt threatened.”

Normally, shooting out one or two balloons would cause them to drop, but they were still ascending — fast. When they started to fall, they dropped ballast, but kept falling.

“This makes no sense,” said Lafta, a veteran pilot and skydiver.

Couch said Lafta asked if they should jump with the parachutes they strapped on before climbing into their lawn chairs.

“I said: ‘I don’t want to jump. I’m not ready to jump yet,’” Couch said.

“By the time we got in our landing mode, I wished we would have jumped,” he said.

The two men were buffeted for an hour and a half.

With half their 360kg of ballast and nearly half their 350 balloons gone, Couch said they would never make it to Montana, a trip of about 640km.

Flight by helium-filled party balloons is a constant process of releasing ballast and shooting out balloons, Couch said.

“It was really, really dangerous for us,” he said. “The best solution is to get down.”

With an eye out for an open spot to land, they started shooting balloons with the Red Ryder BB rifles they each carried in plastic pipe scabbards by their lawn chairs.

“We’d shoot a few and start to descend, but it would lift us back up,” Couch said. “I finally got exasperated and really started shooting balloons.”

As they approached the ground, the wind was pushing them along at about 50kph, and they could see their chase crew below. They dropped a rope, trying for a clearing in some trees, but the heat from the flat ground forced them up. They dropped more ballast to clear some trees, Couch said.

They shot out more balloons and came into a newly mowed hay field, about 64km east of their starting point. Banging along the ground, they released two clusters of red balloons to prevent the craft from floating off, then jumped. They couldn’t hang on, and the craft floated away anyway, coming to earth on a ranch 8km away. It now rests in Couch’s driveway, headed for a museum.

Despite the setback on Saturday, both men plan to go ahead with the flight in Iraq, attempting to break an altitude record this October from a site to be determined.

“Why not?” Lafta said. “We have a lot of fun. And more experience that makes us safer in future.”

This story has been viewed 2797 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top