Mali’s National Assembly on Wednesday called for military intervention in the north where Islamists have enforced strict Shariah law, destroyed ancient shrines and trapped residents with landmines.
Protesters from northern Mali demonstrated in the capital on Wednesday against the Islamist takeover of the immense northern region. About 2,000 people braved pouring rain to join the sit-in protest at Bamako’s Independence Square monument, chanting: “We want weapons to liberate the north.”
The protest came as the international community mulled ways to help Mali’s embattled interim government save its vast desert north, a territory larger than France or Texas, from the armed Islamists.
The presence of the rebel Ansar Dine (Defenders of Faith), which is openly allied with al-Qaeda’s north African franchise, has sparked concern that the region could become a new haven for terrorism.
Mali is being ruled by a 12-month interim government set up after a March 22 coup and which has proven powerless to deal with the partition of the country since the Islamists and Tuareg rebels captured key northern cities.
The Economic Community of West African States is scheduled to hold a mini-summit in Burkina Faso on Saturday to discuss the formation of a unity government that could request military intervention from its neighbors.
Interim Malian President Dioncounda Traore, who has not returned to his country since being attacked in his office in May, will travel from France to attend the summit, Burkinabe Foreign Minister Djibrill Bassole said.
Mali has continued its descent into chaos since then and is de facto split in two, with Islamist groups linked to al-Qaeda controlling the north.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Wednesday denounced an “accumulation of horrors” in rebel-held northern Mali, saying women were raped, men beheaded and ancient treasures destroyed.
He said he was “confident” the UN Security Council would soon pass a resolution authorizing the use of force to help Mali win back its territory.
“The aim is firstly to re-establish constitutional order in the south and to ensure and affirm Mali’s integrity,” Fabius said. Following that, the goal would be “to regain lost territory.”
France was determined to prevent the setting up of “international terror bases that threaten the peace and prosperity of the whole region and our security too,” French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said.
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday
“Leaving a place that I love was very difficult. We’re all Hong Kong people who come out to protest because we love Hong Kong. But now we are forced to leave.” *Jay* is a former Hong Kong resident who attended many of last year’s protests, including on the front lines. He was arrested and charged with riot offenses, but fled the territory when he was being released on bail several months ago. He is now among dozens of Hong Kong residents seeking political asylum in Australia, and he has no expectation of returning home. “When I was taking the bus to the