An hours-long gunbattle punctuated by explosions rocked a northeast Nigeria city on Tuesday, as gunmen in another city in the country’s Muslim north killed police officers in attacks that left at least 19 people dead, officials said.
The violence, which authorities blamed on a radical Islamist sect known as Boko Haram, targeted the cities of Kano and the northeastern city of Maiduguri, where the group once had its main mosque. The heaviest fighting occurred in Maiduguri, as soldiers fired on suspected sect members for several hours as bomb blasts echoed across the city, witnesses said.
Military spokesman Colonel Victor Ebhaleme told journalists on Tuesday night that all those killed were “Boko Haram terrorists” and that the military suffered no casualties on its side. Soldiers also recovered weapons and ammunition in the operation which targeted areas authorities believed served as hideouts for the sect in the arid, dusty city, Ebhaleme said.
However, a man who lives in the neighborhood where the fighting took place later said that some civilians had been struck by stray bullets in the fighting.
“I almost got home, but I saw soldiers shooting and I had to run back on foot,” the man said.
He spoke on condition of anonymity as he feared angering either the military or Boko Haram.
The crowded neighborhood, called Lawan Bukar, is close to the palace of the region’s traditional ruler, the Shehu of Borno. It also is an area where suspected Boko Haram members recently beheaded two civilians and shot dead a politician.
Meanwhile, in Kano, gunmen suspected to belong to Boko Haram opened fire and killed a retired deputy inspector-general of Nigeria’s federal police, as well as two other officers in the city. Kano state police spokesman Rilwan Mohammed confirmed the attack took place, but declined to offer additional details.
Nigeria faces a growing wave of sectarian violence carried out by Boko Haram, whose name means “Western education is sacrilege” in the Hausa language of Nigeria’s predominantly Muslim north. The sect has been blamed for killing more than 560 people this year alone. The sect’s targets have included churches, often attacked by suicide car bombers.
Boko Haram, which speaks to journalists through telephone conference calls at times of its choosing, could not be immediately reached for comment on Tuesday night.
The sect most recently claimed responsibility for a suicide car bombing that struck a church in the northern state of Bauchi on Sunday that killed at least 15 people and wounded dozens more.
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including
Female flight attendants working for Japan Airlines would next month be allowed to wear trousers and abandon high heels, the company said on Thursday, after a feminist campaign took off. The airline became one of the first major Japanese firms to announce the shift after a campaign known as #KuToo last year rejected mandatory high heels at work, drawing more than 32,000 signatures in an online petition. The campaign is part of a wider feminism movement in Japan, with Japan Airlines saying that the new policy was aimed at boosting a “diverse working environment.” PANTS PERMIT “This will be the first time to introduce
TARGETED: Although hackers are known to be seeking to capitalize on concern over COVID-19, a cybersecurity expert said he had never seen anything to this extent before Elite hackers tried to break into the WHO earlier this month, sources said, part of what a senior agency official said was a more than two-fold increase in cyberattacks. The identity of the hackers was unclear and the effort was unsuccessful, WHO Chief Information Security Officer Flavio Aggio said. However, he warned that hacking attempts against the agency and its partners have soared as they battle to contain COVID-19, which has killed more than 15,000 worldwide. The attempted break-in at the WHO was first flagged to Reuters by Alexander Urbelis, a cybersecurity expert and attorney with the New York-based Blackstone Law Group,