The UN Security Council on Thursday condemned the deadliest bomb attacks of Syria’s 14-month uprising, urging all sides to stick to an international peace plan after at least 55 people were killed.
The Syrian government and opposition traded blame for Thursday’s twin suicide bomb attacks in Damascus, which also left nearly 400 people wounded.
The blasts during the morning rush hour further clouded a UN-backed ceasefire brokered by special envoy Kofi Annan that has failed to take hold since it went into effect on April 12.
The 15 Security Council members “condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist attacks” in the Syrian capital, according to a statement.
The council called on all sides to “immediately and comprehensively” implement the six-point peace plan of UN-Arab League envoy Annan, “in particular to cease all armed violence.”
Syrian UN Ambassador Bashar Jaafari said British, French and Belgian nationals were among foreign fighters killed in the country’s mounting conflict and that there was al-Qaeda involvement.
Jaafari, told the Security Council that on top of the Damascus blasts, an explosion in the city of Aleppo had left “several civilian victims and massive damage to private property.”
He said a list of the 26 foreigners detained had been sent to Ban and to the Security Council.
However, the opposition Syrian National Council accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime of staging the bombings in a bid to undermine a UN observer mission and to persuade the international community that Damascus was battling “terrorists.”
The council accused the regime of placing the bodies of people it had killed at the site of the bombings, to claim that they died in the blasts.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitoring group, said more than 12,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria since the revolt broke out in March last year.