Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood is to field its deputy chairman, Khairat al-Shater, as a candidate in the upcoming presidential election, the group’s party and supreme guide said on Saturday.
“The Freedom and Justice Party [FJP] will nominate Khairat al-Shater as a candidate for the presidency,” the FJP said on its Facebook page.
The 61-year-old professor of engineering and business tycoon will be standing in the country’s first presidential election since a popular uprising ousted former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak last year.
The election is scheduled for May 23 and 24.
The Brotherhood’s supreme guide, Mohammed Badie, confirmed al-Shater’s nomination at a news conference when he read out a brief statement from al-Shater, who was not present.
“After it was decided to field my name in the presidential elections, I can only accept the decision of the Brotherhood. I will therefore resign from my position as deputy chairman,” al-Shater’s statement said.
The Muslim Brotherhood had repeatedly said it would not put forward a member for the election, but its leadership insists that al-Shater’s nomination is not an about turn, but a necessary measure in the face of developments.
“There is a real threat to the revolution and to the democratic process,” the Muslim Brotherhood’s secretary-general, Mahmud Hussein, said.
The nomination is likely to intensify a standoff with the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), which took power when Mubarak was ousted in February last year.
The Muslim Brotherhood’s political arm, the FJP, has been pressuring the military to sack the Cabinet — which it accuses of stalling the revolution — and to appoint an FJP-led government.
However, the SCAF has stood by the Cabinet and its head, Kamal Ganzuri, lashing out at the Islamists over their demand.
Hussein said their demand to sack the government had been ignored and said there had been “threats to dissolve the parliament” which it dominates, in reference to a lawsuit challenging the legitimacy of the electoral process.
He said because “one or more members of the former regime” are planning to run for the country’s top job is proof that there is a plan to bring back the old regime.
Al-Shater’s nomination would have been unthinkable before the uprising in January last year, when the Muslim Brotherhood was banned and its members were subject to periodic government crackdowns.
The uprising turned the political order upside down, with Mubarak in jail on murder and corruption charges, and the Islamists dominating parliament and now fielding a presidential candidate.
Al-Shater will face competition from former Arab League head Amr Mussa, who registered his candidacy last week, and from former Brotherhood member Abdelmoneim Abul Futuh, who enjoys support from both young Islamists and secular movements.
Egyptian Islamist Hazem Abu Ismail, who subscribes to the ultra-conservative Salafi brand of Islam, launched his candidacy on Friday.
Presidential hopefuls need to either be nominated by a party represented in parliament, get the backing of 30 lawmakers or collect 30,000 signatures from eligible voters in 15 provinces in order to qualify as candidates.
It was unclear how al-Shater, who received a military conviction in 2006 on charges of terrorism and money laundering, would be able to stand without an official pardon.
At the news conference in Cairo, Badie said there were “no legal barriers” to al-Shater running, but did not elaborate.
“Egypt now needs a candidate from among us who can take on the responsibility,” FJP head Mohammed Mursi said, insisting that the decision to field a candidate “is not a change of principles.”
“Egypt has problems that have not been solved,” Mursi said, listing among them fuel shortages and security problems.
“All this has pushed us toward the executive authority,” he said.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies