An Egyptian-brokered truce between Israel and militant groups in the Gaza Strip began to take hold yesterday after four days of violence in which 25 Palestinians were killed and 200 rockets were fired at Israel.
The number of Palestinian rocket attacks dropped steeply after the ceasefire went into effect overnight. The Israeli military said three rockets had hit, causing no casualties, and that there had been no Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip.
Previous ceasefire deals after earlier rounds of fighting have often got off to a slow start, with guns falling silent within a day or two.
A senior Egyptian security official in Cairo said by telephone that both sides had “agreed to end the current operations,” with Israel agreeing to “stop assassinations,” and an overall deal “to begin a comprehensive and mutual [period of] calm.”
The truce agreement followed appeals from world powers — the US, the UN, France, the EU and the Arab League — for both sides to exercise restraint.
A Palestinian official close to the talks said “the factions are committed,” alluding to the Islamic Jihad and Popular Resistance Committees, which were most active in the fighting, but that these groups were waiting to see how Israel would respond.
Gaza’s Hamas Islamist leadership has kept out of the fighting and seemed eager to avoid a larger conflict with Israel.
Israeli Civil Defense Minister Matan Vilnai said on Israel Radio that “unless there are last minute developments ... this round is now behind us.”
Amos Gilad, a senior Israeli defense official, said Israel would feel free to take “pre-emptive action” if Israeli lives were in danger — a reference to future strikes against Palestinian militants believed to be planning attacks.
However, he told Army Radio, if “there is quiet on their part, there will be quiet on our part.”
The worst flare-up of violence along the restive frontier in months began on Friday, after Israel killed a senior militant it accused of plotting to attack Israel from Egyptian territory. Israel said Gaza militants had fired about 200 rockets at its southern towns and cities from Gaza since then.
Eight Israelis were injured by the rockets, dozens of which were shot down harmlessly by Israel’s “Iron Dome” missile interceptor system.
However, while Israel was keen to bar rocket fire, at its home front there seemed to be little public enthusiasm for waging a longer military campaign reminiscent of a 2008 to 2009 offensive in which 1,400 Palestinians and 13 Israelis were killed.
Twenty of the Palestinians killed in the Hamas-controlled enclave since Friday were militants and five were civilians, according to medical officials.
At least 80 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been wounded in the violence, which also paralyzed life in much of southern Israel, forcing schools to close and hundreds of thousands to remain indoors.
The last conflagration of this intensity was in August after a cross-border attack launched from Egypt killed eight in Israel and Israel struck back killing 15 Gaza gunmen
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread