Executives at the now-closed News of the World actively sought to delete e-mails which could be used in phone-hacking claims against the British tabloid, newly disclosed court documents alleged on Friday.
The allegations are made in documents drawn up by lawyers for hacking victims. They have not been heard in court because the case never went to trial, but they were released to a British newspaper by a High Court judge.
Rupert Murdoch shut down the News of the World in July over the phone hacking scandal and since then the publishers have settled a string of cases. However, they still face legal claims and allegations of a cover-up.
The claimants’ documents allege that all computers used by journalists were destroyed in about October 2010 and “hundreds of thousands of e-mails, on nine separate occasions, were deleted” under the company’s “e-mail deletion policy.”
They quote a draft framework of the policy from November 2009, which described its aim “to eliminate in a consistent manner across News International [subject to compliance with legal and regulatory requirements] e-mails that could be unhelpful in the context of future litigation.”
The company should have been aware of its legal obligation to preserve evidence from 2008 onwards because of civil claims brought against the paper, the court documents note.
They also cite e-mails from an unnamed senior executive inquiring about the progress of the e-mail deletions, including one from July 2010 which says: “How come we still haven’t done the e-mail deletion policy?”
Another from August 2010 states: “Everyone needs to know that anything before January 2010 will not be kept,” according to the documents obtained by the Daily Telegraph and published online.
News Group Newspapers declined to comment.
Murdoch is launching a replacement to the News of the World this weekend, a Sunday version of his best-selling daily tabloid, the Sun.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
SHOW OF SOLIDARITY: The publisher’s ‘Apple Daily’ newspaper has had to raise the number of copies printed from 70,000 to 550,000 to meet a huge surge in demand They have occupied Hong Kong’s central business district, marched by the hundreds of thousands through the territory’s streets and endured tear gas and pepper spray in pitched battles with riot police. Hong Kong’s pro-democracy supporters are now wielding a new protest weapon: their stock-market trading accounts. To show support for Jimmy Lai (黎智英), the publisher and outspoken government critic who was on Monday arrested under the territory’s new national security legislation, Hong Kongers have been piling into shares of his media company Next Digital. The result: a more than 1,100 percent surge in two days that propelled the stock to a seven-year