The first court hearing in the US civil case being brought against former IMF managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn will take place on March 15, court officials said yesterday.
The hearing will hear arguments on pre-trial motions and is not the start of the trial itself. New York prosecutors abandoned a sex assault case against Strauss-Kahn last year, but his accuser, an immigrant hotel maid, lodged a civil suit.
The Bronx Supreme Court announced the new stage in the saga with a brief statement saying “oral argument on the motions in the Diallo v Strauss-Kahn case pending in Bronx Supreme Court will be held on March 15.”
Nafissatou Diallo says Strauss-Kahn attempted to rape her in his Manhattan Sofitel hotel room where she had gone to clean on May 14 last year. Strauss-Kahn was arrested later that day, but insisted he was being framed and prosecutors later dropped charges, saying the maid had credibility problems.
The civil suit seeks unspecified damages from Strauss-Kahn, who was once considered a front-runner to become the next French president and is married to a wealthy French journalist.