Thu, Feb 02, 2012 - Page 6 News List

Yemeni minister unhurt after gun attack on his car

SECURITY PROBLEMS:Authorities are still probing who was behind the attack on the information chief. Tribesmen also reportedly kidnapped six UN workers

Reuters, Aden and Sana’a

Gunmen riddled the car of Yemen’s information minister with bullets as he left a Cabinet meeting in the capital on Tuesday, but he escaped the assassination attempt unhurt, an aide said.

In southern Yemen, at least 12 al-Qaeda militants, including four local leaders, were killed in a US strike in south Yemen.

Both incidents highlighted the multiple security problems in Yemen that have alarmed regional power Saudi Arabia and the US.

In Sana’a, the capital, unidentified assailants opened fire on Yemeni Information Minister Ali al-Amrani’s car as he prepared to leave after a Cabinet meeting. The minister was not hurt, according to his secretary, Abdel-Basset al-Qaedi.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack on Amrani, who quit outgoing Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s ruling General Peoples Congress (GPC) party following the outbreak of protests against his long rule and joined the opposition.

He was named information minister in a coalition government between the opposition and the GPC after Saleh signed a deal to transfer power to his deputy, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, in a move aimed at averting civil war.

In southern Yemen, between 12 and 15 people were killed in the aerial attack on militants traveling in two vehicles, a tribal leader said. The dead included at least four leaders of Yemen-based al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, he said.

Residents said the strike hit the militants overnight east of Lawdar in Abyan Province. No civilians were hurt, they said.

“This can be considered as one of the biggest American strikes because it targeted a large number of al-Qaeda leaders at the same time,” the tribal leader, who declined to be identified, said by telephone.

“Unlike in previous attacks, this one seems to have achieved its goals and, unlike previous attacks, it did not result in civilian casualties,” the leader said.

In one of the deadliest strikes in late 2009, more than 40 civilians, including women and children, died in an air strike that Washington said had targeted al-Qaeda.

One Western official said Tuesday’s strike was carried out by a mix of US military aircraft, suggesting it did not solely include unmanned drones.

US President Barack Obama’s administration does not usually openly discuss covert strikes by drones and other military assets in Yemen and places such as Pakistan.

Al-Qaeda militants have regrouped in the mountains of Yemen after suffering blows in Saudi Arabia and Iraq over the past few years. They exploited months of protests against Saleh last year to broaden their hold on swathes of territory in Yemen’s south.

Tribal leaders said one of those killed was Abdel-Munem al-Fatahani, who was wanted over attacks on the US destroyer Cole in 2000 and a French oil tanker in 2002.

Militants denied that Fatahani or any local al-Qaeda leader was killed and said only foot soldiers died. However, a tribal chief and witnesses insisted Fatahani was among the dead, saying the militants had closed off the areas and quickly buried the dead.

Separately, tribesmen kidnapped six foreign aid workers from a tourist area west of Sana’a on Tuesday. State news agency Saba said those abducted were a German, a Colombian, an Iraqi, a Palestinian and two Yemenis.

The six worked for the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, office spokeswoman Elisabeth Brys said in Geneva.

This story has been viewed 1389 times.
TOP top