Wed, Feb 01, 2012 - Page 6 News List

US nationals take refuge at embassy

SANCTUARY:The three were among a number of foreigners working for US-based groups who have been barred from leaving Egypt as it probes human rights groups

AP, Cairo

Three US citizens barred from leaving Egypt have sought refuge at the US embassy in Cairo amid growing tensions between the two allies over an Egyptian investigation into foreign-funded pro-democracy groups.

The White House said on Monday it was disappointed with Egypt’s handing of the issue, which US officials have warned could stand in the way of more than US$1 billion in badly needed US aid.

The growing spat between the two longtime allies reflects the uncertainty as they redefine their relationship nearly one year after the ouster of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak following an 18-day popular uprising.

Mubarak was a steadfast US ally, scrupulously maintaining Egypt’s peace treaty with Israel and while seeking to mediate between Israel and the Palestinians — a clear US interest.

Now, Egypt’s council of ruling generals, who took power when Mubarak stood down on Feb. 11 last year, often accuse “foreign hands” of promoting protests against their rule.

At the same time, members of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, which dominates the new parliament, have suggested that they could seek to re-negotiate parts of the 1979 Israel-Egypt peace treaty, causing alarm in Israel and concern in Washington over the possibility that Egypt will no longer serve as its solid anchor in the Middle East.

Egypt’s probe into foreign-funded organizations burst into view last month when heavily armed security forces raided 17 offices belonging to 10 pro-democracy and human rights groups, some US-based. US and UN officials blasted the raids, which Egyptian officials defended as part of a legitimate investigation into the groups’ work and finances.

Last week, Egypt barred at least six Americans and four Europeans who worked for US-based organizations from leaving the country. They included Sam LaHood, the head of the Egypt office of the Washington-based International Republican Institute (IRI) and the son of US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the only Republican in US President Barack Obama’s Cabinet.

On Monday, US Department of State spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters in Washington that some of the Americans under investigation were in the embassy, although she would not identify them or their affiliations, citing privacy concerns.

“We can confirm that a handful of US citizens have opted to stay on the embassy compound in Cairo while awaiting permission to depart Egypt,” she said.

Nuland said that those seeking refuge in the embassy were not “seeking to avoid any kind of judicial process,” adding they had been interrogated before.

The US Foreign Affairs Manual states that such request for refuge are generally granted only when the US citizen “would otherwise be in danger of serious harm.”

Another US official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said three Americans were at the embassy.

It was unclear if LaHood was among them. In a text message, LaHood referred queries to an IRI spokesperson in Washington, who did not respond to requests for comment. LaHood said last week that he had been told by his lawyer that he was under investigation on suspicion of managing an unregistered non-governmental organization and receiving “funds” from an unregistered organization — namely, his salary.

US officials have warned that restrictions on civil society groups could hinder aid to Egypt, funds the country badly needs given the severe blows continued unrest has dealt its economy during the past year.

This story has been viewed 1580 times.
TOP top