For Specialist Chancy Cotton, who was among the first US troops to arrive in Iraq in 2003 and the last to leave last weekend, four tours and nine years of fighting were more than enough.
The 31-year-old was about 200 soldiers with the 1st Cavalry Division who were given a raucous standing ovation on Saturday at their base in Texas, where they made it home in time for a Christmas Eve to remember.
“I’m glad that it’s over with, that the fact that everyone gets to come home and hopefully everyone did not sacrifice in vain, because a lot of people didn’t get to come home,” he said.
Standing in a turret, he threw up his hands in jubilation last weekend as his armored column rolled into Kuwait at first light, ending a conflict that unleashed a vicious insurgency in Iraq and deeply divided the US.
On Saturday he and his fellow soldiers marched through an icy rain at the parade field here as family and friends cheered and waved US flags.
After a brief ceremony in which the unit’s colors were unfurled after the long flight home, Colonel Phil Battaglia issued a single order: “Charge.”
Moments later, Cotton wrapped his arms around his wife Tia and their eight-year-old son Tyler.
Also attending the ceremony were Virginia Solis and her four children, who welcomed home Specialist Ismael Solis, 32, a three-tour Iraq veteran.
“It’s hard for me,” she said. “I had to be a mother and father at the same time.”
The celebration was tempered by the knowledge that while the US is finally out of Iraq it is still at war in Afghanistan. The wives of some of the returning troops said they were already preparing for another tour.
“They said they’re going to redeploy in 2013, so it’s just another step we’ll have to take when we get there,” said Tricia Joseph, who is 19 and four months pregnant.
“Either way, I’ll be standing by his side through everything,” she said.
The jubilation is also overshadowed by the knowledge that many soldiers never returned. The US lost 4,484 troops in Iraq, while 32,000 others were injured, according to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count.
The 1st Cavalry Division, which rotated through Iraq three times and has sent smaller units at other times, lost 283 soldiers there, a spokesman said.
“It’s scary not knowing if our loved ones are coming home, especially when he’s the father of your kids,” said Amanda Tougas, mother of two.
Some soldiers expressed concern over whether Iraq will be able to defend itself in their absence. Cotton fears that a series of deadly bombings in Baghdad last week could be a sign of things to come.
“I was expecting something to happen, but hopefully it gets stable over there for all the sacrifice that we’ve done, and hopefully it will work itself out,” he said.
US President Barack Obama has been criticized by some Republicans for failing to convince Iraq to extend a 2008 Status of Forces Agreement in order to keep some US troops in the country.
However, many veterans said they thought the US had done as much as it could.
The 2003 invasion toppled the brutal regime of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, who was tried and executed in 2006, and a “surge” of 20,000 additional US troops in 2007 helped to contain a rash of sectarian bloodletting verging on civil war.
US Army Captain Travis Pendleton, 30, of Yorba Linda, California, downplayed the potential effects of the withdrawal on Iraqi security.
“On my second tour in 2009 as an advisor to the Iraqi 6th Infantry Division, we felt by the end that they were so far along we would have a rather modest return on investment,” he said.
“The war was over,” said former Marine Corporal Wilson, 26, a Florida policeman and veteran of Iraq’s restive Anbar Province, site of some of the heaviest fighting between US troops and the country’s Sunni insurgency.
“Iraq will flourish or fail, and that was going to be the same case if we stayed for another eight years,” he said. “Our war was about providing the opportunity to bring the horse to the water. The drinking part is up to the Iraqis.”
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting