North Korea yesterday lashed out at South Korea for a perceived lack of respect toward late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, as it reported more scenes of mass grieving in the state for the late leader.
Saying the whole world is in mourning for “a peerlessly great man,” the North for the second time in three days blasted the South over its response to Kim’s sudden death on Dec. 17.
There would be “unpredictable catastrophic consequences” for cross-border relations unless Seoul eases restrictions on condolence visits by South Koreans to Pyongyang, it said.
The South blames its neighbor for two deadly border incidents last year, but has taken a generally conciliatory stance since Monday’s shock announcement that Kim had died of a heart attack two days earlier at age 69.
The Seoul government sent its sympathies to the North’s people, scrapped a controversial plan to display Christmas lights near the border and announced that South Koreans could send pre-approved condolence messages north.
However, the authorities, who by law must approve all contacts with Pyongyang, are allowing only two private delegations to visit the North to pay respects and are not sending an official team.
Following the South’s announcement, the North said it would open its borders to all South Koreans who wish to travel to Pyongyang.
“The South Korean authorities should bear in mind that their obstructions will entail unpredictable catastrophic consequences to the north-south relations,” a spokesman for the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, a state body overseeing cross-border relations, told the official news agency.
The Seoul authorities’ “unethical acts bereft of elementary etiquette and compatriotism have touched off unanimous outrage and wrath among Koreans and all other people of the world,” the spokesman said.
Despite the tough rhetoric, -analysts generally do not expect shows of military force as the new regime headed by Kim Jong-il’s son Kim Jong-un settles in.
The North’s state media has been heaping praise on both the late father and the son for the past week.
Kim Jong-un has laid on extra hot drinks and medical care for streams of mourners visiting various sites in the bitter cold, its news agency said.
On Saturday, the ruling party hailed Kim Jong-un as “supreme commander,” the latest sign that the untested youth in his late 20s is tightening his grip on power.
However, the Kim dynasty’s newest ruler remains a figure of mystery to the world, which is seeking clues to future policy in the nuclear-armed nation.
Fresh TV footage aired yesterday showed Kim Jong-un and other top military and party officials paying respects the previous day at the bier bearing the glass coffin of his late father.
They included Jang Song-thaek, Kim Jong-un’s uncle and a likely key figure in the succession process, wearing a military uniform with the insignia of a general.
The South’s Yonhap news agency said it was the first time Jang had been shown in public wearing a military uniform, triggering speculation he might have been appointed a general after Kim Jon-il’s death.
The North’s news agency said participants pledged the military’s loyalty to the son under the -slogan “Let us defend with our very lives the Party Central Committee headed by respected Comrade Kim Jong-un.”
Ruling party newspaper Rodong Sinmun said more than 10,000 workers and soldiers had made pilgrimages as of Saturday to Mount Paekdu on the Chinese border, the supposed birthplace of Kim Jong-il.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses