Twin suicide car bomb blasts ripped through an upscale Damascus district in Syria yesterday, targeting security and intelligence buildings and killing at least 30 people, Syrian authorities said.
The blasts came a day after an advance team of Arab League observers arrived in the country to monitor Syria’s promise to end its crackdown on protesters demanding the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Government officials took the observers to the scene of the explosions and said it backed their longtime claims that the turmoil is not a popular uprising, but the work of terrorists.
The blasts were the first such suicide bombing in Syria since the uprising began in March.
“We said it from the beginning, this is terrorism. They are killing the army and civilians,” Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faysal Mekdad told reporters outside the intelligence building, where bodies still littered the ground.
State TV said initial investigations indicated possible involvement by the al-Qaeda terror network.
Alongside him, the head of the observer advance team, Sameer Seif el-Yazal, said: “We are here to see the facts on the ground ... What we are seeing today is regretful, the important thing is for things to calm down.”
Outside the intelligence building, mutilated and torn bodies lay amid rubble, twisted debris and burned cars on the main avenue in Damascus’ upscale Kfar Sousa District. Bystanders and ambulance workers used blankets and stretchers to carry blood-stained bodies into vehicles. All the windows were shattered in the nearby state security building, which was targeted by the other bomb.
The two blasts went off within moments of each other in yesterday morning, echoing across the city.
“The explosions shook the house, it was frightful,” said Nidal Hamidi, 34, a Syrian journalist who lives in Kfar Sousa.
He said gunfire was heard immediately following the explosion and said apartment windows in a 200m radius from the explosions were shattered.
Mekdad said more than 30 people were killed and 100 wounded. Earlier, state TV said the dead were mostly civilians, but included military and security personnel.
The blasts came as the Syrian government escalated its crackdown ahead of the arrival on Thursday of the Arab League observers. More than 200 were killed in two days this week.
The UN said more than 5,000 people had been killed in the crackdown waged since March by the Syrian regime against protesters. With the arrival of Arab observers, the government has been eager to make its case, saying on Thursday that 2,000 of its security personnel and soldiers have been killed in the turmoil.
The regime has said the observer team would vindicate its claims that terrorists are behind the violence. Earlier this week, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said it was in the interests of Syria for the observers to come and see what is really happening in the country.
Throughout the turmoil, Assad’s regime has insisted the uprising is the work of terrorists and armed gangs backed by foreign powers trying to topple the state. It has also said that the upheaval would throw the country into chaos, religious extremism and sectarian divisions.
Al-Assad and his inner circle belong to Syria’s Alawite minority, and that community — a Shiite off-shoot — and minority Christians particularly fear reprisals from the Sunni majority.