Survivors of devastating flash floods in the southern Philippines face growing threats from disease, officials warned yesterday, as the toll of dead and missing tops a thousand.
Some 44,000 people who fled as huge torrents swept away shantytowns five days ago are packed in evacuation camps with rudimentary facilities, but officials fear these sites could be potential breeding grounds for epidemics.
“We may be paying so much attention to the corpses we will ignore the evacuation centers,” Assistant Health Secretary Eric Tayag said in an interview on ABS-CBN television. “If there is any epidemic or threat to health, it will come from the evacuation centers.”
In recent days, local authorities in the hard-hit port cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan have struggled to deal with the hundreds of dead, decomposing bodies and their overpowering stench.
Iligan on Tuesday began mass burials of identified victims, while Cagayan de Oro is preparing a swimming pool-size communal tomb at the local cemetery.
Officials of the two cities said the evacuation centers — mainly schools and gymnasiums — have escaped epidemics so far, though conditions remain chaotic due the shortage of skilled relief workers to run them.
Levy Villarin, health officer of Iligan, said the city’s tap water distribution facilities had been shut down to prevent possible contamination by floodwaters and fire trucks have to deliver water to 16 evacuation camps.
“The problem is we only have one or two toilets per school, and they have to cater to 3,000 or 4,000 users,” he said.
“In order to avoid epidemics we need clean water and portalets [portable toilets],” Villarin added.
Dante Pajo, a member of the Cagayan de Oro city council who is in charge of health matters, said there was not enough food or water for the more than 26,000 evacuees.
“The affected areas still don’t have water or electrical services. We have to bring water to them with firetrucks,” he said.
At a Cagayan de Oro gymnasium, 52-year-old grandmother Adela Campaner lined up for porridge in mid-morning to get her and her two grandchildren’s first meal for the day.
“I am ashamed that I have to beg for food,” she said, vowing to go back to their devastated riverside shantytown, called Consolacion, as soon as possible so she could resume normal life selling cooked food at a roadside restaurant.
Wearing a mismatched T-shirt and pants obtained from relief workers, she said she had not taken a bath for three days and was forced to retreat from the school’s toilet earlier in the day due to the repulsive smell.
The gym was filled to the rafters with people sleeping on mats and cardboard cartons.
“I want to get out of here,” said her son Rex Campaner, a 35-year-old security guard who said he had difficulty sleeping at night because of the noise from more than a thousand other evacuees.
“I would much prefer to live in miserable conditions in my own house,” he added.
The civil defense agency said that more than 348,000 people were affected by the storm with 276,000 people receiving emergency assistance, including 44,000 at evacuation centers. Many others that are getting government aid are sheltering with relatives.
Many of them cannot return home because their houses were destroyed by the flood and the government has said they would not be allowed to go back to potentially dangerous areas.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable