From their hospital beds, shocked migrants yesterday recounted the horror of spending three days in violent seas clinging to wreckage after their overloaded boat sank off Indonesia, en route to Australia.
Seventeen-year-old Afghan student Samin Gul Afghani broke down in tears as he described seeing his uncle and two younger brothers sink exhausted under the waters.
Afghani, one of 13 survivors found on Monday 100km from Saturday’s capsize, recalled seeing dozens of fellow migrants drowning as they waited in vain to be rescued.
“Many people did not know how to swim and were sitting on a large plank of wood from the wreckage. When the waves hit one side, we shifted to the other,” recounted Afghani, receiving medical treatment together with a handful of other survivors at a hospital in Lumajang in Indonesia’s East Java Province.
“One by one, they were swept away by the waves and drowned. Many were old people and young children,” he added.
His uncle and two brothers were non-swimmers, Afghani said.
“They died in front of my eyes. I could do nothing to save them,” he said, sobbing.
Survivors said most of the roughly 250 migrants on the boat were Afghans or Iranians.
“People-smugglers first brought me to Indonesia. From here, I got on the boat at around 3am on Saturday,” said 25-year-old Syed Ghasem, another Afghan.
“I was on one of four buses loaded with people like me who were trying to get to Australia,” he said. “Six hours into the [sea] journey we were in a very, very violent storm, and the next thing I knew the boat had capsized.”
Ghasem said about 50 survivors managed to climb onto the large plank of wood, but many were lost when it broke apart.
“Thirteen of us managed to hang on and we were adrift for three days and two nights before being picked up by a ferry,” Ghasem said.
So far, 47 survivors have been rescued after the fiberglass vessel, which had a capacity of 100, but was carrying about 250 migrants, sank 40 nautical miles (74.1km) off eastern Java.
Crewmembers and migrants had wrestled over 25 life vests on the doomed boat, officials and survivors said.
Officials said they were trying to establish whether two Indonesians found on Monday near eastern Java’s Malang city were crewmembers. One of the Indonesians said he was a fisherman.
“There was nothing for us. We didn’t eat, we didn’t drink. We were so thirsty. We thought we were going to die,” Afghani said. “One Iranian tried to swim to shore and get help. He never came back.”
Afghani said he saw rescuers on two boats on Sunday, but were disappointed when they turned back.
“They couldn’t get to us because the waters were very disturbed, very big waves,” he said.
The Australian newspaper reported Monday that a principal suspect responsible for sending the latest boat was an associate of the jailed kingpin Sayed Abbas, whom Australia is pursuing for extradition from Indonesia.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Hong Kong (FCC) yesterday said that reporters in the territory were experiencing “highly unusual” visas problems, and called on the US and China to stop using the media as a political weapon. Journalists have been caught up in US-China tensions, with both sides placing limits or expelling reporters from their territories in the past few months. Now the spat is filtering into Hong Kong, a regional press hub nominally in charge of its own immigration policies. The FCC said in a statement that multiple media firms had reported delays getting visas in recent months. “The delays have affected journalists