The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s election commission late on Tuesday postponed declaring the winner of last week’s polls amid fears the result could lead to new violence as protests erupted worldwide.
The conflict-prone country has been on high alert while it awaits the final results after a campaign that saw deadly police crackdowns on opposition rallies and a series of clashes between rival partisans.
Early tallies showed Congolese President Joseph Kabila heading for re-election in the single-round vote, which pitted him against a divided opposition field of 10 candidates.
However, the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) said late on Tuesday it needed more time to compile final results from around the vast central African country, promising a full count within 48 hours.
“We don’t have all the results sheets from the 169 local results compilation centers,” CENI spokesman Matthieu Mpita said. “That’s why we had to postpone the provisional results. To respect the law, we need to have all the results sheets in our possession.”
The postponement came after police fired tear gas to disperse opposition supporters in Kinshasa.
According to results issued late on Tuesday, Kabila led main rival Etienne Tshisekedi 49 percent to 33 percent, with 89 percent of polling centers counted.
DR Congo has been holding its breath since the vote, which was marred by chaos and rioting at polling stations, and deadly rebel attacks in the southeastern city of Lubumbashi.
Washington called on all political factions to reject violence and for the authorities to protect the population.
“Violence has no place in the democratic process,” US Department of State spokesman Mark Toner said. “The United States urges all [DR] Congolese political leaders and their supporters to act responsibly and to renounce violence, and reminds the government of the DRC of its responsibility to provide security for the Congolese population.”
About 20,000 soldiers are on stand-by at bases in Kinshasa, and convoys of large trucks packed with armed police carrying gas masks were seen on the capital’s unusually quiet streets.
Tensions also spilled over into the DR Congolese diaspora.
In London, about 300 anti-Kabila protesters accusing Western countries of backing the incumbent clashed with police -outside British Prime Minister David Cameron’s residence. Two people were treated for injuries. Seventeen were arrested on suspicion of obstructing a highway, a Scotland Yard spokesman said.
In Toronto, 150 protesters swarmed a police car and dirt was thrown at officers, prompting an emergency radio call for back up.
Two people were arrested, a police spokeswoman said.
DR Congolese protesters also clashed with police on Monday in Brussels, where nearly 100 -Tshisekedi supporters were arrested according to the Belga news agency, and in Johannesburg and Pretoria.
The International Crisis Group has put the DR Congo on its “conflict risk alert” list, citing clashes in Kinshasa on the eve of the polls, the attacks in Lubumbashi on voting day and a call from several opposition candidates for the vote to be annulled.
International Criminal Court prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo issued a warning to the rival camps on Tuesday.
“We are closely watching the situation on the ground, and recourse to violence will not be accepted,” he said in a statement.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies