Chinese police have warned prominent government critic Hu Jia (胡佳) that he will be detained again if he continues his activism and speaks to foreign media, human rights advocates said yesterday.
Hu, one of China’s leading rights campaigners, was released from prison in June after completing a more than three-year sentence for subversion.
Police told Hu on Friday that he would be placed under “administrative detention” if he violated “any of the terms of his deprivation of political rights,” Hong Kong-based Chinese Human Rights Defenders said in a statement.
Administrative detention allows the police to hold anybody without trial or charge for a certain period and is typically used against people considered threats to social order, often activists.
Despite official efforts to muzzle him, the 38-year-old has vowed to continue his activism and has been campaigning for the release of other dissidents.
Last month, Hu publicly criticized proposed changes to Chinese law that would make it legal to detain suspects for up to six months without charge, in secret locations away from police stations and official prisons.
Although not officially legal, so-called “disappearances” have become a popular method of silencing dissidents in a crackdown that began in February, when calls for Arab-style protests began appearing on Chinese Web sites.
Hu has also joined a growing online campaign to free blind activist Chen Guangcheng (陳光誠), who has been under house arrest in eastern China since completing a jail term of more than four years in September last year.
Hu has posted photographs of himself on his Twitter account wearing black sunglasses and a white T-shirt with an image of Chen and the words “Free Chen Guangcheng.”
Police also told Hu on Friday that he was barred from traveling to Shandong Province to visit Chen, nor was he allowed to visit Liu Xia (劉霞), the wife of jailed dissident Liu Xiaobo (劉曉波), who won the Nobel Peace Prize last year. Rights groups say the government has placed Liu Xia under house arrest without charge since her husband won the award.
Hu said last month that despite an official ban on him expressing “opinions publicly” after his release from prison, he was determined to speak out.
“I told the police clearly — I won’t be restricted on issues concerning citizens’ rights and benefits as well as freedom,” Hu said. “In this country the government is the one that violates human rights, police officers are performing tasks that violate human rights ... so I must express my resistance in public, express my condemnation.”
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are