Fri, Oct 14, 2011 - Page 5 News List

Salvage of stricken ship off New Zealand resumes

REGRET:The owners of the ‘Rena’ apologized and said they are working with authorities to find the cause of the crash, while the ship appears to have settled on the reef

Reuters, Wllington

Oil tanks on a stricken container ship threatening to break in half off the New Zealand coast have survived a pounding by heavy seas, salvage experts said yesterday, as the ship’s owners apologized for the large clumps of oil washed up on beaches.

A second ship’s officer appeared in court in connection with the running aground of the Liberian-flagged Rena 12 nautical miles (22.2km) off Tauranga on the east coast of New Zealand’s North Island.

Large splits have opened up down the middle of the hull of the 236m vessel, which has been stuck for eight days on the reef and has lost up to 300 tonnes of heavy, thick, toxic fuel.

A salvage team was winched back on board the 47,230 tonne Rena and after an inspection reported the ship’s rear tanks, holding about 1,000 tonnes of fuel, were intact. The ship was carrying 1,700 tonnes of fuel.

“The vessel again seems to have settled on the reef, which is a good situation, so it’s not getting that working that would be opening those cracks,” salvage advisor Bruce Anderson told reporters.

Swells had eased to about 1m from 5m the day before, raising hopes that pumping will resume.

“This is not a simple process, there’s been a considerable amount of damage on the vessel and they need to assess that first of all it’s safe to operate and secondly that they can be operated,” Anderson said.

Three tugs have been steadying the ship to keep it on the reef and stop the aft section breaking away and possibly sinking in water up to 90m deep.

The ship’s owners, Greece-based Costamare Shipping Inc, said they were deeply sorry for the grounding and oil spill.

“For us, one drop of oil in the water is one drop too much. It is therefore a matter of great regret that a ship associated with us should be the cause of so much anguish,” managing director Diamantis Manos said in a video statement.

He said the company was working with authorities to find the cause and liability for the clean up. Property damage would be settled in accordance with international conventions.

The ship’s second officer, responsible for navigation when the Rena struck the reef, appeared in court yesterday on a charge of “operating a vessel in a manner causing unnecessary danger or risk.”

The 37-year-old Philippine national was remanded without plea on bail. The ship’s captain appeared on the same charge and was also bailed on Wednesday. The charge carries a maximum fine of NZ$10,000 (US$7,800) or 12 months in prison.

More containers had fallen into heaving seas from the ship, which is listing at about a 20° angle. Eighty-eight of the 1,368 containers have been lost and authorities said one was carrying a hazardous substance that can explode on contact with water.

Police patrolled to stop any looting of containers, but beaches were covered with deerskins, foam insulation, timber and hamburger meat patties.

Tauranga, the country’s biggest export port, said it would suspend operations between 8am and 5pm GMT to remove debris from inside the harbor and check shipping channels.

Maritime New Zealand closed about 40km of coast to cope with overwhelming numbers of people wanting to help in the cleanup.

Crews numbering about 500 people, including soldiers, have been gathering clumps of oil, some as large as dinner trays. However, hundreds of residents, some angry at the time taken to start a clean up, have also joined in.

This story has been viewed 2186 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top