Sixteen actors dressed as zombies were injured on Tuesday when they fell from a platform when filming a new movie in the Resident Evil series, officials said, and rescue workers at first were startled at the seemingly catastrophic scene.
“I could see the look on the first paramedic, saying: ‘Oh my God,”’ Toronto emergency medical services Commander David Ralph said with a laugh.
Officials said none of the injuries were considered life--threatening, but that was far from apparent when rescue workers first arrived at what appeared to be a horrific scene.
The victims’ gory zombie costumes made it difficult for crews to assess the severity of the actors’ injuries, said Peter Macintyre, Toronto emergency medical services spokesman.
Paramedics responded to the call from Cinespace Film Studios around 8:30am, and Toronto Police Sergeant.
Andrew Gibson said responders quickly figured out which zombies were injured and which were just in character.
“It did kind of catch us off guard when we walked in,” he said.
Twelve victims were taken to a hospital.
One actor suffered a cracked rib, one a broken leg and one a possible back injury, the film’s producers said.
Police Constable Tony Vella said the actors had been filming a scene on a high wheeled platform.
The platform moved as they were going to another platform, leaving a gap into which the zombies fell.
The film’s producers, Davis Films/Impact Pictures and Constantin Film International, issued a statement that said the accident involved background actors.
They said a 1.2m high platform separated from the set, creating a gap.
Seven of the injured have already returned to the set, they said.
Resident Evil: Retribution is the fifth installment of a franchise based on the popular video game series and will be distributed by Screen Gems and Sony Pictures.
The movie’s leading actress Milla Jovovich was not on set at the time of the accident, according to her representative Christine Tripicchio.
Vella said the incident is classified as an industrial accident. Ontario’s Ministry of Labor is investigating.
“They are sending an inspector and an engineer,” ministry spokesman William Lin said, adding that about 50 workers were on the platform when it moved.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around