Philippine authorities yesterday said the death toll from two typhoons that pummeled the country two weeks ago had reached 101, with tens of thousands of people still displaced by massive flooding.
Typhoon Nesat, which struck Luzon’s low-lying agricultural plains, left 82 dead in its wake, while Typhoon Nalgae — which hit five days later — killed 19, the Office of Civil Defense said.
Most of those killed fell victim to floods that swept through Luzon, while the remainder were either electrocuted by fallen power lines or crushed by debris and landslides.
Twenty-seven remain missing, raising the prospect that the death toll could still rise.
More than 67,000 people remain in evacuation centers across more than 40 provinces in Luzon.
Philippine Social Work Secretary Corazon Soliman said those displaced were being served in 78 evacuation centers, although tens of thousands more needed help after deciding to return home to houses immersed in waist-deep water.
“Affected families are now going home to start anew. Consequently, we are now preparing for their rehabilitation on top of the relief assistance being provided to those still in evacuation centers,” Soliman said in a statement.
Officials on Saturday said waist-deep floods in several Luzon towns would likely persist for one more month, with an area of low pressure hovering over the country continuing to bring rain.
Meanwhile, a popular Mao cap-wearing Filipino guerrilla, who gave a voice and face to one of Asia’s longest-running Marxist insurgencies as its spokesman with a common-folk touch, has died of a heart attack, his comrades said yesterday. He was 64.
The outlawed Communist Party of the Philippines said Gregorio “Comrade Roger” Rosal died in a guerrilla zone in the country’s north on June 22, but delayed the public announcement of his death until his daughters were notified. Reaching them was difficult because of intense military operations.
The party and its armed wing, the New People’s Army, mourned Rosal’s death in a statement, saying “his life of service to the revolution will serve as an inspiration to the people to carry forward their revolutionary struggles.” Maoist guerrillas will pay a tribute with gun salutes on Saturday, the party said.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures