The last remaining wrongful-death lawsuit stemming from the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks has been resolved, according to a lawyer for the victim’s family and court papers filed on Monday.
The settlement brings to an end a wrenching legal battle in US District Court in Manhattan, where lawsuits had been filed on behalf of 85 people who were killed in the attacks and an additional 11 who were injured, court records show.
All of those lawsuits had since been resolved, except one: a suit involving the death of Mark Bavis, a 31-year-old hockey scout who was aboard United Airlines Flight 175, the second plane to hit the World Trade Center.
Family members had long resisted a settlement in the case, which was filed in 2002, saying they wanted to hold the defendants publicly accountable at trial for what the family and its lawyers contended was gross -negligence that allowed five terrorists to board Flight 175.
The defendants were United and Huntleigh USA, a security company that ran the checkpoint at Logan International Airport in Boston where Bavis boarded the flight.
As with previous settlements in the Sept. 11 litigation, the damages will remain confidential, Migliori said.
“The tragic events of 9/11 impacted all of us, and we are pleased to resolve this case,” United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said.
Jonathan Ross, a lawyer for Huntleigh, said he was also pleased with the resolution.
“We have always taken the approach of trying to resolve the 9/11 cases for the families who lost their loves ones,” he said.
Michael Bavis, 41, the victim’s twin brother, said the recent public filing “tells an important story as to why this happened.”