Snipers and security forces yesterday killed six civilians as tens of thousands of anti-regime protesters thronged central Sana’a following deadly clashes there on Sunday that left 26 people dead.
Witnesses said snipers deployed on rooftops around Change Square, the epicenter of anti-regime protests in the Yemeni capital, killed three passersby, while security forces and regime supporters clashed with protesters a few kilometers away, killing three civilians and wounding dozens.
Early yesterday, thousands of protesters calling for the departure of Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s regime marched into the center of Sana’a where they joined tens of thousands who had camped there overnight.
On their way, the protesters clashed briefly with security forces and Saleh supporters near the office of Saleh’s son Ahmed, who heads the elite Republican Guard units, but no casualties were reported, witnesses said.
Yesterday’s march followed a similar one on Sunday attended by tens of thousands, which ended in chaos when security forces and armed civilians opened fire, according to witnesses.
Heavy machine guns, water cannons and tear gas were also used, they added.
Medics reported 26 people killed and 500 wounded by live rounds, batons or after inhaling tear gas in Sunday’s clashes.
Yemen’s government yesterday expressed its “sorrow and condemnation” of Sunday’s violence and promised an investigation.
“The government of Yemen expresses its sorrow and condemnation for all acts of violence and bloodshed as those happened yesterday in Sana’a,” Yemeni Foreign Minister Abu Bakr al-Qurbi told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
“The government will investigate and hold accountable all those who were in charge of these acts,” he added.
“It is unfortunate that these events occurred at a time while some solutions for the political crisis started to appear,” he said.
During their march on Sunday night, protesters drove out the security forces, who were replaced by troops of dissident General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar’s First Armored Brigade.
The troops immediately set up roadblocks to protect the demonstrators, who now occupy a 3km stretch of Sana’a, extending from Change Square towards the center, witnesses said.
“New tents were set up in the center of Sana’a,” one witness said.
Youth groups also called for massive protests across the country yesterday, prompting security forces to deploy heavily in the flashpoint city of Taez, the second-largest city in Yemen.
The Organizing Committee for the Youth Revolt in Sana’a which insisted in a Sunday statement that its actions will remain “peaceful,” urged Yemenis to “come out and gather” across the country “day and night” until the regime falls.
It also urged soldiers from the Republican Guard and the central security services to “refuse to obey orders given to them by members of Saleh’s family to kill their own people.”
The interior ministry had accused protesters of wounding four members of the security forces, throwing gasoline bombs at electricity generators and burning official vehicles.
Meanwhile, Oxfam said in a statement that one in every three Yemeni goes hungry every day because of the months-long political stalemate that has pushed the economy to the verge of collapse and the -government towards total paralysis.
“Widespread hunger and chronic malnutrition have taken hold in Yemen,” the international charity said in a report on the country of 22 million.
Saleh, who is recovering in Saudi Arabia from wounds received in an explosion in Sana’a in June, last week authorized Yemeni Vice President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi to negotiate a power transfer with the opposition.
However, the opposition has dismissed calls for dialogue before Saleh, in power since 1978, signs a Gulf-brokered deal that would see him hand power over to Hadi in return for amnesty from prosecution for himself and his family.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete