Even the most hardened critic of former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi must have felt a little sorry this week for his daughter Aisha.
After fleeing Libya for Algeria, her new hosts announced the 35-year-old had just given birth to a baby girl, barely a day after crossing the border. All very traumatic. Not least because the birth came barely four months after Aisha claimed a NATO airstrike had killed her other baby girl, four-month-old Mastoura.
Hang on. Two babies in eight months? It’s possible — just about. However, it also might not be the first time the Qaddafi regime has used babies as propaganda. In June, Qaddafi aides took reporters to see a seven-month-old girl who had apparently been injured by NATO strikes. Or so they thought — until a hospital staff member slipped a reporter a note, written in English: “This is a case of road traffic accident. This is the truth.”
It’s an old trick, too. In 1986, Libyan media reported Qaddafi’s adopted (and previously unheard of) daughter Hana had been killed in an US bombing raid. It was plausible — until, 13 years later, a 13-year-old Hana Qaddafi was photographed meeting then-South African president Nelson Mandela, very much alive. Then, earlier this year, journalists found financial statements for a Hana Gaddafi — born Nov. 11, 1985, making her six months old at the time of the 1986 airstrikes — and were told by Libyan officials that she was alive and well, and working as a state doctor.
Finally, last week, reporters scouring Qaddafi’s compound found medical qualifications and a British Council certificate for the same Hana Qaddafi — further proof, it seemed, for Hana’s existence.
Case closed? Perhaps not: The British Council then suggested that this was a second Hana, “adopted after the other Hana’s death and given the same name as a tribute.”
As the Guardian’s Peter Walker has asked (“Gaddafi’s daughter Hana: dead or a practising doctor?” Aug. 26), is Hana Qaddafi “a person who never existed, a dead infant, a 25-year-old doctor or a combination of the latter two?”
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies