Mon, Aug 22, 2011 - Page 7 News List

Gabrielle Giffords finally told who gunman killed


For months after the spasm of violence that shattered her world, Representative Gabrielle Giffords was shielded from the wider scope of that January morning, when a gunman shot her in the head, badly wounding her and 12 others outside a Tucson political event.

Trying to protect her fragile state, staff and family members did not let her know that six had perished in the Jan. 8 attack, including one of her most trusted staff members and a federal judge, who was a close friend.

Just weeks ago, Giffords found out the truth, delaying a grief process the rest of the country had gone through months before.

On Saturday, a Giffords’ staffer confirmed that the Democratic politician was told by her husband late last month that those who passed away included her close aide Gabe Zimmerman; US District Judge John Roll, a close friend; and nine-year-old Christina-Taylor Green. The Arizona Republic first reported those details early on Saturday.

News of who the victims were came to Giffords just days before her surprise Aug. 1 appearance on Capitol Hill to vote on the federal debt ceiling. Her loved ones had been keeping the scope of the tragedy from her until she was strong enough to handle it.

“She knew for some time that six people had died and 13 were injured, including herself,” said Mark Kimble, who is Giffords’ new spokesman. “In late July, shortly before she went to Washington, she wanted to know more information, specifically about who had died. That’s when her husband told her.”

According to Kimble, only Giffords and her husband, newly retired astronaut Mark Kelly, were in the room when the congresswoman learned of the names of the six who died.

Later, Giffords gave her personal condolences to Zimmerman’s father during a brief telephone conversation on Aug. 7, the Republic reported on Saturday.

“It wasn’t very long, but it covered important things,” Ross Zimmerman told the newspaper. “She said she felt awful about Gabe.”

The man charged in the rampage in Tucson, Jared Lee Loughner, has been at a federal prison facility in Springfield, Missouri, since late May after a federal judge concluded he was mentally incompetent to stand trial. Loughner, 22, has pleaded not guilty to 49 charges.

This story has been viewed 1514 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top