Israel was expecting a diplomatic tsunami to strike next month, but the problems have come sooner than expected, leaving it ever more isolated in the Middle East.
Egypt’s decision on Saturday to recall its envoy from Israel will remove the last Arab ambassador from Tel Aviv, further undermining a relationship that had started to buckle following the ousting of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak in February.
Tensions flared after a cross-border attack last week, with Cairo accusing Israeli forces of shooting dead three Egyptian security guards during gunbattles with Palestinian militants who had earlier ambushed and killed eight Israelis.
The row comes days after renewed verbal barbs between Israel and its one-time ally Turkey, which is still fuming over the deaths of nine Turks last year when Israeli commandos stormed a boat trying to break the blockade of Gaza.
Turkey is demanding an apology for the incident, something Israel is refusing to provide. Now Egypt wants to hear “sorry” too, but all it is getting so far are offers of “regret.”
“Egypt is trying to re-educate Israel and is following the same line as the Turkish foreign policy,” said Uzi Rabi, director of the Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern studies in Tel Aviv.
Israel’s international standing faces a fresh assault next month as Palestinian leaders from the West Bank seek full membership of the UN in a General Assembly vote that will expose decades of rancor.
“Israel needs to learn that it is facing a different Middle East,” Rabi said.
Israel’s 1979 peace deal with Egypt has been the cornerstone of its Middle East policy, providing much-needed stability to its southern flanks and enabling successive leaders to maintain the status quo in the unresolved Palestinian conflict.
Egypt’s new military leaders are highly unlikely to tear up the Camp David Accords, which brought Cairo enhanced security stability and also gave it access to generous Western funds.
However, after an uprising among a populace that is overwhelmingly pro-Palestinian, the military has already shown itself to be more open to the Islamist Hamas group that governs the Gaza enclave and more assertive when it comes to dealing with Israel.
“Israel must be aware that the days when it kills our children without getting a strong, appropriate response are gone for ever,” Amr Moussa, a former Egyptian foreign minister and former Arab League chief, said on his Twitter feed.
In the heady days following the Egyptian peace deal, which eventually opened the way for treaties with other Arab states such as Jordan and Morocco, many Israelis hoped that they would find partners to forge a reconstructed and secure Middle East.
Those dreams have long vanished and some analysts believe Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his right-wing government have simply decided to bypass the region and build alliances elsewhere.
“They don’t expect peace with the Palestinians. They are giving up on the Middle East. They are focusing on Eastern Europe,” said Alon Liel, former director-general of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. “If you think like that, then you can’t expect good relations with your neighbors.”
As ties with regional neighbors sour, relations with some of Israel’s closest allies, including the US, are not as rosy as they once were.
Western diplomats have pinned much of the blame for stalled Palestinian peace talks on Israel, with Washington and European capitals roundly condemning a spurt of recent approvals for settlement building in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
While the US has said it would side with Israel in the impending showdown in the UN, a big majority of UN members are likely to back the Palestinians.
“The real wake-up call will come in September. The Palestinians are headed towards a diplomatic intifada, not a military intifada,” Liel said, seeing diplomacy rather than street violence as the main threat for Israel.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against