Thu, Aug 04, 2011 - Page 6 News List

Another executive of News of the World arrested

AFP, LONDON

British police investigating phone hacking on Tuesday arrested a former executive of Rupert Murdoch’s now defunct News of the World, while a protester who attacked the tycoon with a foam pie was jailed.

A 71-year-old man believed to be former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner was detained at 10:50am at a London police station on suspicion of phone hacking and bribing police, Scotland Yard said.

The man was subsequently released on bail until a date later this month pending further inquiries, police said.

Police have arrested 11 people since launching a new hacking probe in January, including former News of the World editor Andy Coulson and former chief executive Rebekah Brooks of News International, Murdoch’s British newspaper division.

The scandal has sent shock waves through the media baron’s global News Corp empire, forcing the resignations of Brooks and top US aide Les Hinton and prompting the group to drop its bid for British pay-TV giant BSkyB.

TWENTY-TWO YEARS

Kuttner was managing editor of the News of the World for 22 years until he resigned in July 2009, taking charge of its finances and acting as the public face of the paper, which closed last month amid the hacking scandal.

He quit shortly before media reports emerged disclosing that the tabloid paid out more than £1 million (US$1.6 million) to settle cases that threatened to reveal evidence of phone hacking.

Police said in a statement that officers “from Operation Weeting together with officers from Operation Elveden arrested a man on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications ... and on suspicion of corruption allegations.”

They refused to identify the man, but he was widely reported to be Kuttner.

Operation Weeting is the name of the police probe into phone hacking, while Operation Elveden is examining allegations that police officers were bribed.

PIE PENALTY

Meanwhile, comedian Jonathan May-Bowles was jailed at a London court for six weeks after pleading guilty to assaulting Australian-born Murdoch during a parliamentary hearing on phone hacking on July 19.

The 26-year-old, who goes by the stage name of “Jonnie Marbles,” splattered the 80-year-old tycoon with a plate of shaving foam.

Wendi Deng (鄧文迪), Murdoch’s Chinese-born wife who was sitting behind him during the hearing, sprang to her husband’s defense, leaping up and hitting May-Bowles.

“You attended with only one objective in mind, which was to disrupt proceedings,” District Judge Daphne Wickham said, adding that May-Bowles must serve a minimum of three out of the six weeks.

May-Bowles’ legal team immediately launched an appeal against the decision.

In related news, another Murdoch tabloid, the Sun, has sent a message to readers warning them that computer hackers may have published their data online after an attack on the paper’s Web site last month.

The paper’s publisher News Group Newspapers said in an e-mail that details of people who took part in competitions and polls on the Sun’s Web site may have been taken.

This story has been viewed 1842 times.
TOP top