China’s rail minister, facing public outrage over Saturday’s deadly train crash, has ordered a two-month safety review of railway operations and apologized for the accident, which killed 39 people, state media reported yesterday.
Internet users have flooded Web sites and microblogs with comments following the crash in Zhejiang Province, the country’s deadliest rail accident since 2008.
Even before the investigation into the cause of the crash was complete, Beijing on Sunday fired three middle-level railway officials.
Chinese Communist Party mouthpiece the People’s Daily quoted Chinese Minister of Railways Sheng Guangzu (盛光祖) as saying a range of railway officials would be directed to work on front-line operations during the next two months to learn from the accident.
He said the safety campaign would extend through the end of September and would focus on high-speed rail and passenger trains, such as implementing maintenance standards and reinforcing checks on power connections to pre-empt outages.
Special attention would also be paid to prevent accidents caused by flooding and inclement weather, the minister said.
Comments on China’s popular Twitter-like microblogging site Weibo suggested the government would have to work very hard to subdue broad public anger at the crash.
In one online Weibo survey, 98 percent of more than 5,000 respondents answered “only devils could believe” the official death toll of 39.
“We’ve seen the kind--heartedness of the Chinese -people [during this disaster] and the shameless avarice of those who govern us,” one person who goes by the name “well-behaved partition 57” wrote. “Those who lie to the great Chinese people should be made to pay the price.”
The government has now begun paying compensation to the victims’ families, with the first family accepting 500,000 yuan (US$77,500), the Xinhua news agency reported.
The Global Times, a widely read tabloid published by the People’s Daily, wondered in an editorial why China was able to develop so fast economically, yet ignore safety standards taken for granted in the West.
“As the world is experiencing globalization and integration, why can’t China provide the same safety to its people?” the editorial asked.
The ministry is still investigating the cause of the accident. State media has said a bullet train hit another express train that lost power following a lightning strike, adding that the power failure knocked out an electronic safety system designed to alert conductors about stalled locomotives on the line.
Separately, on Monday more than 20 trains were delayed for up to three hours because of a power outage on the flagship high-speed rail line between Beijing and Shanghai, the latest malfunction to plague the line since its grand opening late last month, Chinese media reported yesterday.
The power cut happened after a storm in Anhui Province blew down an iron sheet, cutting off the power supply on Monday evening, the state-run Beijing News reported, citing an official from the Shanghai railway bureau.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable